Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

New York State Police New Roof ID Numbers

17 posts in this topic

I noticed this morning a New York State Police vehicle with a NEW unit ID

on the roof of the vehicle. (i.e. "3K48")

Troop K - SP Cortlandt

I don't remember New York State Police having this in the past.

Personally, I think ALL Police Departments should do this.

Obviously this is a big help for Aviation units!

Will this be Statewide on all NYSP marked vehicles?

A good portion of the NYSP cars in Troop F now have either roof or trunk lettering. I am guessing that all NYSP units will have it eventually.

I was on 9W this morning, and I saw F111 running radar, the only reason I remember the unit ID was because of the roof letters.... I think it looks good, it certainly makes them easier to Identify

I was on 9W this morning, and I saw F111 running radar, the only reason I remember the unit ID was because of the roof letters.... I think it looks good, it certainly makes them easier to Identify

Going on all the cars.

The new "100" series SP Cars you see all over are Traffic Enforcement

units usually assigned to Construction Zones and Speed Enforcement Details.

WATCH OUT! lol

I have also seen F111 and K106

The new "100" series SP Cars you see all over are Traffic Enforcement

units usually assigned to Construction Zones and Speed Enforcement Details.

WATCH OUT! lol

I have also seen F111 and K106

I like that idea, I know other states have been doing that for years, with a dedicated unit just to major highway construction to curb those idiots that decide it's a speedway through the 10 foot clearance.... lol

Lets not forget economy goes bad, pressure to write tickets goes up and in construction zones fines double.

Lets not forget economy goes bad, pressure to write tickets goes up and in construction zones fines double.

While that is logical, this program started pre-economic meltdown.

I think it is a great idea for all cars to be lable on the roof I also Believe that all Ambulance along with the Star of LIFE should be lable with the Vehicle ID NUMBER tooo

Not for nothing, I think everything should.. this way you can tell a chopper to look for a certain rig to mark an LZ and they're not guessing. And how much could it possibly cost? At the absolute most I figure $50 per rig for 1' high reflective lettering

You had a clear view of the ROOF. And how fast were we going ????? Flying just under the radar???

The only problem I see is that multiple departments use the same vehicle numbers. i.e. Tarrytown P.D. and Greenburgh P.D. have various units with the same car number. Also, I have seen patrol cars that have switched numbers and the numbers on the side don't match the numbers on the roof. i.e. XX marked on the sides and licence plate but XY on the roof.

if neighboring police departments have similar numbering systems, why not a letter or number designator for each department, then the vehicle number. I remember on the Cape all apparatus had their County number in 12" or larger contrasting numbers (each town had its own set of numbers) and ambulances were marked with orange numbers so they were more visible by air.

Here in Florida, while I'm not too sure about municipal departments, every vehicle for DOF is marked with 16" tall numbers on the roof, generally black on white background, consisting of district number (1 -15) and then the unit numbers

The only problem I see is that multiple departments use the same vehicle numbers. i.e. Tarrytown P.D. and Greenburgh P.D. have various units with the same car number. Also, I have seen patrol cars that have switched numbers and the numbers on the side don't match the numbers on the roof. i.e. XX marked on the sides and licence plate but XY on the roof.

While that is certainly annoying it is better than no numbers at all. It is easy enough to identify which car 54 we're looking at. And, to be perfectly honest, sixteen or eighteen inch numbers are far better than twelve inch for quick identification at a distance.

Chris,

Being you're the guy reading the numbers, what would you recommend for the roofs?

Both of our ambulance's have no markings on the roof.

Lettering the roof is not expensive.

I would like to know what works for you, and I'll get it done.

i think its a great idea and any department that runs an aviation unit should defidently have roof or trunk numbers

Hey Chris...don't you wish Yonkers would do this! Must be really confusing on a Friday Night when we have what 150 cars out there? Especially in the Hot Spots!