Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ksneubec

Stiloski's Automotive's Rescue

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the story with Stiloski's Automotive Corp in Tarrytown? What are they using the old FDNY Rescue 1 for? I noticed it still has red lights- I know NY DOT has tow trucks with red lights and sirens for use on the TZ Bridge, is this a similar circumstance?

Karl

I was wondering that myself. Are they trying to be a resource for fire depts that dont have equipment, or maybe try and contract with the state for big accidents and investigations?

If not, then it doesnt seem worth it, to have a truck like that in a private fleet if it isnt going to be utilized.

Most large scale tow companies has a vehicle to carry recovery equiptment.

The primary purpose is not to assist the fire department but to compliment the heavy wreckers in uprighting large trucks and the like.

Since Stiloski's has their fair share of heavy wreckers and requests for them, the need must be there. I don't know of many tow outfits that would go out and buy a vehicle to just sit around.

I cannot state this for fact, but what I've been hearing about the old FDNY Rescue is that it's got a ton of salvage equipment on it AND to some extent some rescue equipment...

I believe it's got tons of airbags on it, SCUBA salvage gear, rescue equipment, and specialized recovery equipment.

Stiloskis also has one of the DOT contracts for HELP trucks and they may have some type of NYS permit for red lights for the throughway to do heavy rescue that requires airbags above and beyond what heavy rescues can provide.

I was wondering that myself.  Are they trying to be a resource for fire depts that dont have equipment, or maybe try and contract with the state for big accidents and investigations?

If not, then it doesnt seem worth it, to have a truck like that in a private fleet if it isnt going to be utilized.

I am sure they will be billing the customer for this.

Salvage and recovery is lucrative... Both from the standpoint of getting paid by municipalities, insurance companies, and private individuals or corporations.

I'm sure he wouldn't have spent the money to equip that rig if there wasn't a market for it.

If anyones ever seen Stiloskis yard (and the surrounding sts) on Wildey St in Tarrytown, you can see that they have alot of equipment. They have a major contract for the thruway, they have HELP trucks on I-684, and a few towboats for the Hudson River (Hudson River Recovery). A while back, his boat made it out Someone who jumped of the Tappan Zee before Tarrtown's Marine 5 made it out. By the way, The person survived.

i spoke to one of my friends who works for stiloskis towing. the red lights on the truck in the picture for that exact purpose, just the picture. the light bar on top is also there just for the picture. The red lights on the front are clear now and are running lights. he also said that the air bags are capable of flipping both a tractor and trailer at the same time.

besides the rescue, stiloski has light, medium, and heavy tow trucks, flat beds, flat bed tractor trailers, a generator truck, some HELP trucks, and a few boats.