Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephen morea

Thornwood apparatus question

11 posts in this topic

How many boats or marine units does the Thornwood fire department run? Someone told me they had 2, one hard bottom boat and one soft bottom boat. Do they still have these in service, just courious, thanks in advance, steve.

I didn't even know that Thornwood had any boats. Was just on there website and it dosen't show that they have one.

yes they have 2 boats. My buddy is in there and i have been down there quite a bit. i don't really understand why but its better to have it and not use it then not have it and need it, right? The 2 boats hover above the engines in the engine bay and can be lowered down in a hurry.

I was down at the THORNWOOD marina the other day, I didnt see any boats! :blink:

Guess none of you guys ever visited during a flood. There are a bunch of places in that area that are flood prone and can benefit from the proper equipment for emergency operations. It's better to have a couple of inexpensive boats to rescue people who think their SUV stands for SUbmarine Vehicle instead of using improper equipment - or no equipment at all - to do it.

Marble Ave always floods out by the bridge .... plus the have the pond with the ice skaters

does it really flood out that much as to where you would need a boat? the ponds i can understand

does it really flood out that much as to where you would need a boat? the ponds i can understand

The Saw Mill RIVER Parkway floods routinely in Thornwood's jurisdiction (and others), shutting the road for extended periods of time. Additionally their district covers an area including parts of the Kensico Reservoir as well.

The boats came in handy during Hurricane Floyd. Parts of our town were buried deep in water. So to answer your question yes it does flood quite severly in certain spots.

Since not all depts have members that can walk on water they have had to resort to other means to access the many ponds the dot their district. Thornwood went with suprisingly unorthodox option of boats.