Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Idling Vehicle Safety and Security

18 posts in this topic

We've all done it... leave a vehicle idling at a scene. Given these two incidents should this be revisited? How would you recommend increasing vehicle safety and security without compromising our effectiveness?

This thread is not about critiquing the two threads referenced, it's about figuring out how to prevent another similar incident!

Police Vehicle Stolen - one arrested after chase

Man arrested after moving ambulance at a scene

Tarrytown VAC has a switch installed on both of our rigs that when activated allows the driver to leave the rig running but have the key on their person. The key must be reinserted into the ignition to operate the rig. If the key is not in the ignition when someone goes to switch gears, once the brake pedal is pressed the rig shuts off preventing it from being moved.

In an effort to keep the ambulances running and secured at an emergency scene, the Larchmont VAC had installed a keep it running switch. This allowed you to take the key out and the ambulance would remain running. If someone got into the ambulance and tried to move it, the ambulance would shut off when the brake pedal is depressed. To further insure ambulance security, the ambulance would be locked at the scene. If someone other then the person with the key needed to get into the ambulance, there is a hidden switch that would unlock the ambulance.

These are two simple and effective ways to secure the emergency vehicle at the scene or even when out running errands and you need to keep the rig running to maintain the proper environment in the patient compartment.

Tarrytown VAC has a switch installed on both of our rigs that when activated allows the driver to leave the rig running but have the key on their person. The key must be reinserted into the ignition to operate the rig. If the key is not in the ignition when someone goes to switch gears, once the brake pedal is pressed the rig shuts off preventing it from being moved.

How is it restarted once this happens? I remember a case in out in Ohio where this happened when a firefighter went to move the ambulance for the crew and it shut off, then they had to jumpstart it to get it going.

Ambulance 'Breaks Down' During Emergency

edit: spelling

Edited by Slayer61

Slayer, you just have to put the key back in the ignition before you touch the brake and then your set to go.

How is it restarted once this happens? I remember a case in out in Ohio where this happened when a firefighter went to move the ambulance for the crew and it shut off, then they had to jumpstart it to get it going.

Ambulance 'Breaks Down' During Emergency

edit: spelling

You put the key in the ignition and turn it.

Isnt the driver suppose to be watching the rig? If its going to get stolen, its going to get stolen. Maybe put one of those bait systems in them and have dispatch have access to it and if the rigs/car goes missing call dispatch up and tell them to disable/lock and locate. Besides saftey and security, it conserves gas to shut it off and take the keys, but how would one keep the elights on w/o running up the battery if its off? (utt ohh 3 commas in 1 sentence) :huh: I remember a system where you can switch the switch and take the key out while the engine is still running.

If there's a crew of TWO, the idea that the driver is watching the ambulance isn't very realistic.

On the subject of police cars, if the driver has to bail out to chase a suspect or intervene in an emergency or safeguard a scene with lighting and the vehicle as a barrier, it is hard to say take the keys out and lock it unless you have an idle system that allows that.

Slayer, I think it can be restarted with the key if you attempt to move it without the key and it shuts down.

In my dept. our ambulances have hidden buttons on the outside the allows you to unlock all the doors from the outside if the keys are locked inside. They only other idea I have about locking the cars/ambulances is to take the remote for the keyless entry off the key ring and leave it in your pockets at all times then all you have to do is lock the rig on your way out. I don't know a lot about police cars but i don't think many if any have the keyless entry. That might be something the department heads should consider looking into I am sure if it stops 1 rig from being stolen its worth getting.

Thanks for the answers, i figured it would be that, the article just threw me off.

This is and appears to be a re-occurring problem. Click2Enter, Inc. had been approached by a company that installs many of the peripheral devices used in the fire and ambulance manufacturing. The thought was to use a Click2Enter unit installed into the rig to control the door locks. You could leave the rig running and have all the doors auto-lock or use the Click2Enter to lock them with your portable radio as you left the rig. Once you returned you would use the Click2Enter to unlock the doors with your portable radio and off you go.

Deputy511

www.click2enter.net

This is and appears to be a re-occurring problem. Click2Enter, Inc. had been approached by a company that installs many of the peripheral devices used in the fire and ambulance manufacturing. The thought was to use a Click2Enter unit installed into the rig to control the door locks. You could leave the rig running and have all the doors auto-lock or use the Click2Enter to lock them with your portable radio as you left the rig. Once you returned you would use the Click2Enter to unlock the doors with your portable radio and off you go.

Deputy511

www.click2enter.net

That's a neat idea but what happens if you're outside your vehicle transmitting on the radio while on scene? Does it go UNlock, LOCK, UNlock, LOCK every time??? :lol:

That's a neat idea but what happens if you're outside your vehicle transmitting on the radio while on scene? Does it go UNlock, LOCK, UNlock, LOCK every time??? :lol:

Easy answer. We assign a frequency (channel) on the radio with a specific CTCSS code and power it down so the user/s know that this frequency/channel is used to unlock the rig Also, we can range the C2E device so you have to be sitting right on top of it to fire.

Pete

The C2E looks like a good option, no matter what way you secure a vehicle, if someone is determined enough they will find a way to get the vehicle..

The best way(and cheapest) to prevent it is diligent observation on a scene.. If someone does not look like they belong they probably don't..

The answer is plain and simple. The driver stays with the apparatus (except Ambulance); there is no reason for a driver to have to leave the truck unattended for any reason. As far as ambulances go, if the duty crew has to leave the immediate vicinity, they should ask the fire-police to keep an eye on it or if no fire-police or extra FF's are available, then they should either ask for police to keep an eye on it or shut down the rig and lock it up. Once your on the scene, most of the time there's no need for your emergency lights to be on anyhow.

Edited by gamewell45

The answer is plain and simple. The driver stays with the apparatus (except Ambulance); there is no reason for a driver to have to leave the truck unattended for any reason. As far as ambulances go, if the duty crew has to leave the immediate vicinity, they should ask the fire-police to keep an eye on it or if no fire-police or extra FF's are available, then they should either ask for police to keep an eye on it or shut down the rig and lock it up. Once your on the scene, most of the time there's no need for your emergency lights to be on anyhow.

Unless you're able to get your rig off the road, your emergency lights should most definitely be on. Even when off the road, I'll leave my emergency lights on if there are other responders following me to the scene (aka EMS indicators). If you work in a city environment, there are many times where the only place to put the apparatus near the scene is smack dab in the middle of the street. The lights are important to warn drivers that the road is blocked before they get on that block and they can turn off before they get jammed up.

I don't quite understand what the problem is with locking your apparatus and taking keys for ambulances and police cars. For ambulance, make a set of keys for every member of the duty crew. If someone wants to break a window to get in your bus and take it, they are going to find a way to take the apparatus no matter what system you have. The only annoying thing I have found with the new Chevy's is that the driver's door automatically unlocks if the key is in the ignition if you hit the automatic locks. So, if you hit the lock button on the back door to make sure the vehicle is secure, the driver's door unlocks, even if you locked it manually.

The only problem is that some people in Tarrytown EMS do not use this feature and leave the key in the ignition. Lenox Hill Hospital EMS (in Manhattan) also uses the same key removal system and it works very well. When you have a 2 person EMS crew and you need to keep the emergency lights, patient compartment lights & A/C running, it works very well. After all, the driver can not always guard the vehicle at a scene since he is needed for other tasks. Some agencies do not have this system but have the driver carry an extra set of keys so he can lock the doors and use the extra keys for re-entry.

Shelton VAC also uses the switch system to remove the key and leave the truck running. once you get to scene, put it in park, push the button, light next to button turns red, remove key from ambulance/emergency vehicle, lock doors. if anyone gets in and touches the brakes before key is re-inserted, rig shuts down...use it all the time

Shelton VAC also uses the switch system to remove the key and leave the truck running. once you get to scene, put it in park, push the button, light next to button turns red, remove key from ambulance/emergency vehicle, lock doors. if anyone gets in and touches the brakes before key is re-inserted, rig shuts down...use it all the time

These are more common than you would think. and they work great. I had one in my old explorer which the previous owner installed. flip the toggle switch twice, turn the key off, etc. pretty simple and effective. I loved having that in the winter since i was too cheap to buy a remote start...