Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tuckahoe Quarry

11 posts in this topic

Over the years, I vaguely remember hearing things about the "Tuckahoe Quarry", and how it's marble (or granite) was used in some very high-profile buildings. What stuck in my mind is that someone said it is now filled with water.

I can't place in my head where in Tuckahoe this quarry is......has the land been redeveloped?

It's still a hole in the ground, filled with water, off Fisher Ave, and of course, Marbledale Rd.

If you click on street view on Fischer, there are a couple of monuments and plaques with a bit of the quarry history.

But you have to go there to read them. :P

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...mp;t=h&z=15

[edit]

pin A is the fisher Ave quarry, pin B is the Leewood Rd quarry

I am not sure of the street name but the quarry is very close to the Jewish center on the same side it is on the right going down toward the crestwood station if the street name comes back in to my head i will post it

Glenn

There is one of these in Verplanck too...just don't get caught...lol

For a person that grew up in the Village of Tuckahoe for all of my life, and now at the ripe old age of 53, I can tell you that the "TUCKHAOE QUARRY" goes way beyond Fisher Ave and Marbledale Rd. There was and still is a vein of marble that runs from Leewood Dr. off the Bronx River Pkwy south to Eton Pl. in Eastchester. which would be the first quarry. The second quarry was on Marbledale Rd between Lincoln Ave & Fisher Ave, which would be the second one. The next quarry was a block south on Marbledale Rd. from Glen Rd to just south of Jackson Ave in Tuckahoe. The first two quarries now do have water in them but the third one was filled in with dirt some time in the early 60's or so. That land was at one time a dirt parking lot and now all it is is a flat piece of land with a very historic past. The vein of stone ran for about a mile and a half to two miles or so. A large amount of our Marble was used in Washington DC, St Patricks Cathedral, in NYC, & Lyndhurst Castle in Tarrytown to name a few.

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/geology/...kahoeMarble.htm

For a person that grew up in the Village of Tuckahoe for all of my life, and now at the ripe old age of 53, I can tell you that the "TUCKHAOE QUARRY" goes way beyond Fisher Ave and Marbledale Rd. There was and still is a vein of marble that runs from Leewood Dr. off the Bronx River Pkwy south to Eton Pl. in Eastchester. which would be the first quarry. The second quarry was on Marbledale Rd between Lincoln Ave & Fisher Ave, which would be the second one. The next quarry was a block south on Marbledale Rd. from Glen Rd to just south of Jackson Ave in Tuckahoe. The first two quarries now do have water in them but the third one was filled in with dirt some time in the early 60's or so. That land was at one time a dirt parking lot and now all it is is a flat piece of land with a very historic past. The vein of stone ran for about a mile and a half to two miles or so. A large amount of our Marble was used in Washington DC, St Patricks Cathedral, in NYC, & Lyndhurst Castle in Tarrytown to name a few.

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/geology/...kahoeMarble.htm

The bottom 3rd of the Washington monument in DC was created with Tuckahoe Marble. Tuckahoe was not the only local area for natural stone.Yonkers is rich with Granite miles deep.

There is one of these in Verplanck too...just don't get caught...lol

Not to jack the thread, but:

Verplanck Quarry

Like Oswego said - Don't get caught. It's a great place for dive drills, if you can get permission. If you look at the map, change to "Bird's Eye" view for a closer look.

The bottom 3rd of the Washington monument in DC was created with Tuckahoe Marble. Tuckahoe was not the only local area for natural stone.Yonkers is rich with Granite miles deep.

And you wonder why they are really building Ridge Hill...hmmm I bet they are making a buck too! And cool fact about the Washington Monument...of course the rest of the story is that they ran out of Tuckahoe Marble or money and then finished it with marble from somewhere else...can't remember which one it was those...where is Wikipedia when you need it?

And you wonder why they are really building Ridge Hill...hmmm I bet they are making a buck too! And cool fact about the Washington Monument...of course the rest of the story is that they ran out of Tuckahoe Marble or money and then finished it with marble from somewhere else...can't remember which one it was those...where is Wikipedia when you need it?

i dont think they ran out of Marble! Im pretty sure the stone is at least a mile deep. My family quarried stone in Yonkers for about 80 yrs and its from the same strip as Ridge Hill. The stone is very nice and would be great for lots of applications so if its taken out of the ground the right way its worth big bucks!!!!!!!!!!!

During World War II I believe the quarry was jokingly called the TUCKAHOE NAVY YARD.

Those who did not go to war claimed they worked there.

The legend says:

The military built top secret submarines there, and upon completion of the sub, it submerged, and went to sea via an under

ground waterway.

I'm too young to have first hand knowledge of it. Ask a really old guy about it.