Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

An Obese Tire Shop

12 posts in this topic

Driving through a busy, dense urban neighborhood recently, I came upon this tire shop. Inside was PACKED, wall to wall, floor to cieling, with tires and rims, but mostly tires.

Is something like this allowed by code? Would sprinklers be mandated?

I think there is office space being used as residential upstairs. If something came in in the middle of the night, and you had fire showing from the first floor and victims trapped on the second, what do you do?

I pray this building never generates a NIOSH report. What would you do if something occurred here? I know the FD that responds is more than capable of handling the situation and then some, I'm just perplexed by it and want to learn more by discussion.

post-11-1225326357.jpg

The window on the second floor is open so obviously someone is up there,and if the first floor is filled with tires which it looks like it is there has to be an alternative way that the people upstairs are using to get inside that doesn't involve them using the first floor maybe a side entrance or something .

I would be curious to see a picture of the inside. From the picture, all I can tell is that there is a wall of tires on the rack along that glass wall. Not really sure if the tires extend further in or are just along that one wall.

Come to any poor area of NYC and this is common, the sign is usually hand painted, like with a 2 inch brush, flat fixed $10, and they have a boat load of used tires.

I would be curious to see a picture of the inside. From the picture, all I can tell is that there is a wall of tires on the rack along that glass wall. Not really sure if the tires extend further in or are just along that one wall.

Looks like the wood frames for holding the tires are visible inside the building as well, so my guess would be its chock full.

In answer to the question, and based on the premise the joint is full of tires and going good, I'll try and answer in a nutshell.

First off, ascertain if there are any people trapped..if no one's around a perimeter check and check for signs of occupancy will offer some insight as to that possibility. Ok we have victims....get a large caliber stream in operation and establish a water supply...(and here's one where CAFS may be a welcome bonus)...to prevent further extension. Simutaneously or quickly thereafter some good horizontal ventilation...get as much smoke as possible moving away from upstairs. Ladder the building (at least 2 portable ladders to those windows pictured and 1 in front) and get a crew or better yet crews upstairs searching and venting as they go ( I know about fire spread ect..but this is extremely toxic smoke, more so than usual so we have to open this place up as much as possible). Next get FAST in place and ready to act. Then comes another control line (if and where needed) and additional search crews to conduct secondary search operations (if possible depending on conditions). Once the search is complete, surrond and drown.

A Violation was issued this morning....

I was about to say....Hey, that's in Yonkers...isn't that Ashburton/Palisade?

I just love the car out front with the flat Tire. NOW where can I go to get a new tire???

Tires Fuel Intense Blaze

By Martin F. Downs

Valley News Staff Writer

White River Junction -- An inferno fueled by thousands of combusting tires destroyed a historic building that contained businesses and a family's home.

THE VALLEY NEWS

Look closely at the the second floor windows on the the right...it looks like there is some type of security bars inside the window. Something hard to see in this photo, but impossible at night in a smokey environment.

psst seth, you only got half of the del veccio names off the sign