Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

FASNY Fire Concerns for Lightweight Construction

13 posts in this topic

We're hosting this class in November at our Station #3.

Fire Concerns for Lightweight Construction

Date: Saturday, November 08 2008

Croton on Hudson Fire Department

30 Wayne St.

Croton on Hudson, NY

Is this class still on, and what time is it?

Class is still on, starts at 0900.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Steve.

Not really sure who the speaker is but you could probably find out on the FASNY website, it is their seminar.

Not really sure who the speaker is but you could probably find out on the FASNY website, it is their seminar.

I believe it's gonna be the same guy who did Millbrooks seminar, if it is he is a fire chief from NJ (sorry can't find his name). This is an excellent seminar I recomend it for all FF's. you will see what we are walking into with most structural fires and just how unsafe a building is.

BUMP!

Enrollment is very, very low - mostly members of the CFD.

Come on, none of us knows EVERYTHING about building construction...

Class should be less then 3 hours, and yes, we're serving refreshments.

Go to the FASNY website to sign up!

BUMP!

Enrollment is very, very low - mostly members of the CFD.

Come on, none of us knows EVERYTHING about building construction...

Class should be less then 3 hours, and yes, we're serving refreshments.

Go to the FASNY website to sign up!

Who's making breakfast? I'm coming with 4 others.

Edited by ajsbear

I registered yesterday.

xCFD member ;)

I took the class in Millbrook and it had some excellent information

Topics covered within this three-hour program presented by James Kirsch will include:

Wooden lightweight construction, Trusses, Engineered wood products, Whole building design trends

-Firefighter concerns through reviews of case studies

Instructor Kirsch:

Gets Promoted to Lieutenant

2006-08-14 - At the July 18, 2006 meeting of the Mayor and Council, James Kirsch was officially promoted to Lieutenant of the Career staff of the Bergenfield Fire Department.Since 2003, Jim had been filling the position on a provisional basis while the Borough finalized the position's job duties and the promotional examination was completed.

Jim has been a career firefighter in Bergenfield since 1987 when he was appointed to the position of Lieutenant.Kirsch is the Bergenfield FD Training Officer and serves as the task force leader for the Bergen Regional Special Operations team.He is a state certified Level II Instructor and is also a member of the NJ USAR team, specializing in logistics.

Jim has been a member of Prospect Fire Company No. 1 for 24 years.He was Lieutenant from 1989-1991, Captain 1992-1994, Deputy Chief 1995-1996 and Chief of Department in 1997.He has served in many administrative positions within the Company including President.

Edited by markmets415

I attended this seminar last week and it was interesting. One thing that I came away from this seminar with is that lightweight wood I-Beams are much more dangerous than wood trusses.

Lt. Kirsch showed a video of a test burn he did with wood I-Beams. He set up three lengths of wood I-Beams (approximately ten feet long, and spaced sixteen inches apart) on cinder blocks with a piece of plywood on top of them. He then started a fire under the center I-Beam with scrap wood. As the fire grew and the I-Beam started to burn up the web (the vertical portion) of the I-Beam the fire started to roll between the two lengths. The rolling advanced to a vortex similar to a fire tornado. As this happened, this vortex advanced rapidly along the full length of the beam. At eight minutes the web had completely burned through. At nine minutes a full collpase of this I-Beam occurred. Sounding the floor for weakness may not give warning of this web burn-through. Overall an interesting seminar.

One of the questions on the FASNY evaluation sheet asked where you found out about the seminar. I wrote in where I found out about it - EMTBravo.com. :)

I attended this seminar last week and it was interesting. One thing that I came away from this seminar with is that lightweight wood I-Beams are much more dangerous than wood trusses.

Lt. Kirsch showed a video of a test burn he did with wood I-Beams. He set up three lengths of wood I-Beams (approximately ten feet long, and spaced sixteen inches apart) on cinder blocks with a piece of plywood on top of them. He then started a fire under the center I-Beam with scrap wood. As the fire grew and the I-Beam started to burn up the web (the vertical portion) of the I-Beam the fire started to roll between the two lengths. The rolling advanced to a vortex similar to a fire tornado. As this happened, this vortex advanced rapidly along the full length of the beam. At eight minutes the web had completely burned through. At nine minutes a full collpase of this I-Beam occurred. Sounding the floor for weakness may not give warning of this web burn-through. Overall an interesting seminar.

One of the questions on the FASNY evaluation sheet asked where you found out about the seminar. I wrote in where I found out about it - EMTBravo.com. :)

Yeah his own test burn stuff was pretty interesting, and good sell for the site.

I also found a mini course of the Underwriters Labs site http://www.ul.com/ as soon as the window opens you will see the course in the left corner, pretty interesting stuff on engineered lumber and the fire service, it is worth the view.

Some interesting information regarding light weight construction and general building construction, especially for the youngers members of this site. Great information on I-joist.

http://www.woodaware.info/fireframe/index.cfm?

www.woodaware.info/

Edited by markmets415