Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY's "Next Generation" Engines

41 posts in this topic

Height of rig is 10'8" about 2 inches higher than older seagraves. Has plenty of pep with new bigger engine, hose storage is basically same, compartments also same, change is in front of rig where members ride. taller crew cab and many features added. MDT in crew part so members can see what they r responding to. Like any new equipment initial problems will be worked out and addressed.

What engine companies will be getting the new pumpers and which companies have already recieved their new rig?

So far, Engines 3,22,39,44,88,245,and 317 that I know of. In the Bronx, I know E-43 and 63 have both gone for familiarization, but I don't know when they will be receiving the rigs. Anyone with a 1997 or 98 Seagrave should be due for one by the end of this year into next.

As far as the mechanical Q's, it's a lot more expensive than the electronic one. Personal feeling, the powers that be got sick of people jerry rigging mechanicals so they went and nipped it in the bud.

Edited by JBE

Engine 43 and 63 rigs should be in service soon, Engine 81 started training, Engine 92 is last one to be delivered in original order of 30. Next year 20 more or so to continue replacing 98 year apparatus.

E253, E225 and E155 also have them already. E151, E206, E44, E266, E257, E152, E301, E326, E43, E53, E63 & E8's new rigs are all in the area. I have seen most of these being pump tested at Local 825 off the turnpike either driving by there, or while I was at classes there.

as nice as this truck looks, i would be a little concerned with the amount of compartment space it has. Maybe the box on top is to compensate?

as nice as this truck looks, i would be a little concerned with the amount of compartment space it has. Maybe the box on top is to compensate?

What's to be concerned about, it has worked for the last 30+ years. FDNY engines companies only carry engine company equipment, and the first responder equipment. No need for huge compartments to carry the tool, or vent fans (the ladder carries that stuff). Their engines are not jam packed full of crap, only whats need to put the fire out.

Edited by grumpyff

That's a great shot Mike, however it truly will not look like 88 till they get some gold leaf and stars on it.