Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moggie6

Dutchess: Nearest fire company not always called out

64 posts in this topic

First of all it is not up to anyone but the chief of the department what comes and goes in and out of his response area . If a certain dept is upset that they don't get called to a scene when they are closer this could be several legit reasons. First maybe two departments just plain work better together through training and drills , or some dept's have better personel coming .If that upsets you step your game up . Second whats the point of calling a closer dept that takes two dispatches to get off the floor and when they finally do get out its with a driver and junior members . That does absolutely nothing for the incident. It should not be the IC's job to be responsible for someone who he does not want on his scene because that's who they dispatched .Someone sitting in a dispatch center does not have anything to go off of but rig numbers not training or turnout of members . This is not the boy scouts and everyone doesn't get to play and feelings might get hurt oh well . The chief is in charge of fire protection for his city/town and "HE" will be held responsible not the guy in the next dept who didn't get to go to the incident and is bitter about it . Maybe dept's should step their game up and they will get called but it's not you're fight .....got to school ,pay your dues , and go through the ranks and you can change it . Until then grow up and be responsible for yourself first and when you're "perfect" then you can start quarterbacking other depts but that will never happen . Don't worry how many rescue trucks are in a certain area only about the one you're tax dollars paid for and that it gets out when its needed with trained people .

OK.. we'll get you a beer too....

Don't believe the M/A agreements are based on a bill?

I'm sure the M/A agreements aren't based entirely on a bill either. I know that Arlington and LaGrange like to work together and that's awesome when it makes sense and because of their proximity, it often does make sense. I'm sure the patient that got Rich as their medic was very happy to see him. And when the facts came out, although the transport vehicle may not have been there as quickly as we would all like, the system was stressed and LaGrange still had care to the patient in 5 minutes... to me, that's a system that is working.

By the way, I can't speak for LaGrange, but I know Arlington has a pretty responsible setup for mutual aid agreements in their district. They not only utilize LaGrange, but they also utilize Alamo and Mobile Life based on the location of the call and the relative proximity of the units that would be available to assist them. I have gone from our (Mobile Life's) Poughkeepsie station mutual aid into the Croft Corners area because we were the closest ALS unit. At the same time, I've heard Alamo go mutual aid into the HQ area because their S. White St. station is closer. So, I think saying that there is some paid v. volunteer or union v. non-union thing here is completely inappropriate.

Rich... next time you decide to invite a Mobile Life unit to come back you up at AFD HQ, it better be me. I actually drove all around Arlington last night during some downtime showing my partner where the various stations were and what areas they covered.

I'm sure the M/A agreements aren't based entirely on a bill either. I know that Arlington and LaGrange like to work together and that's awesome when it makes sense and because of their proximity, it often does make sense. I'm sure the patient that got Rich as their medic was very happy to see him. And when the facts came out, although the transport vehicle may not have been there as quickly as we would all like, the system was stressed and LaGrange still had care to the patient in 5 minutes... to me, that's a system that is working.

By the way, I can't speak for LaGrange, but I know Arlington has a pretty responsible setup for mutual aid agreements in their district. They not only utilize LaGrange, but they also utilize Alamo and Mobile Life based on the location of the call and the relative proximity of the units that would be available to assist them. I have gone from our (Mobile Life's) Poughkeepsie station mutual aid into the Croft Corners area because we were the closest ALS unit. At the same time, I've heard Alamo go mutual aid into the HQ area because their S. White St. station is closer. So, I think saying that there is some paid v. volunteer or union v. non-union thing here is completely inappropriate.

Rich... next time you decide to invite a Mobile Life unit to come back you up at AFD HQ, it better be me. I actually drove all around Arlington last night during some downtime showing my partner where the various stations were and what areas they covered.

And you didn't call me why? You could have stopped by!

"My purpose of starting this post is to raise an awarness to what is happening in our county as a whole. As a career firefighter i wear my union hat when I have to. I also don't forget where I came from either. Some have chastised me for this, oh well. We are all here to serve the people who call 911 for assistance."

I agree with your intent but....... I don't know why I ever responded to this and why I'm doing it again......

"Did this post turn into pointing fingers? Yes a little bit. Is it right, well I don't know...people can give an opinion and everyone has one. In Dutchess County, if we want to admit it or not, our system is slightly flawed. Why is it we can't have a system like PG County? I don't want to here the response of to many kingdoms or to many egos either."

Topics like this always end up like this...... Like I said, many people shy away from this site because of it.....I know the individual who wrote the letter to POJO...... I worked with him for many years and he is a sharp guy..... All I can say is that something must have happened to make him go to the effort to write the letter..... You can say what you want but no system is perfect, but the system in Dutchess is pretty good....... You don't have to go far to see how good we have it..... And the PG system that you seem to tote as being the save-all /cure-all is not without it's own problems...... Have you ever been there to see it in action? I have....... Nothing is perfect, DC, PG, or for all those that have to make the comparison - FDNY........

"Why is it that Rombout Drives by the Village of Fishkill Fire Station to go to alarms?"

Because Rombouts District surrounds the Village of Fishkill.... Fishkill covers the Village and Rombout covers the Town of Fishkill.... I don't see the problem here? Am I missing something?????? Does PECO have an issue with Rombout going through the Village?

"Why does Arlington Drive by The Hooker Ave Fire Station to go to a fire alarm at St. Ann's?"

Because it's the shortest route for the equipment responding from AHQ? Makes sense to me..... The equipment from Station 5 doesn't have to go through the City to get there - It's their first due area.......... I don't see the problem here......

"How come in Hyde Park, Roosevelt travels through two fire districts to get to alarms at the CIA?"

Odd shaped District boundries.... Do Fairview and Hyde Park mind that Roosevelt goes through their Districts?

"And in the Wappingers Rt 9 area, the fire departments are varied because of districts. Mr. Johnson I respect your opinion of the abundance of Rescues in the Wappingers Area but why is a New Hackensac Rescue truck coming all the way down to Rt. 9 when Wappingers Falls is right there?"

First off, There is no over-abundance of Rescues in the Wappingers area.... That was someone else's foregone conclusion/opinion..... But you answered your own question...... NKFD covers that stretch of Rte 9.... That portion of Rte 9 is in the Town of Wappingers. From the Bridge south to Associated carpets is NKFD's response area, From Associated Carpets south to Old Rte 9 is the Village of Wappingers response area. From Old Rte 9 south to just north of Splash Down is Hughsonvilles response area and so on......Pretty easy for the dispatches to figure out who covers what - Huh?..... I was not that easy in the past.... But the lines were researched based on the Town and the Village maps and the response criteria to these areas is based on this info as legally, each department is responsible for protecting their area as indicated by this map data just like the Fire District Boundaries dictate.... And with defined response areas it makes it easier and quicker to get emergency responders to the scene of an incident. Sometimes due to these odd boundaries it makes sense to have automatic mutual-aid but ultimately the district boundary determines who is resposilble for what....

The list could go on and on and i'm sure we can find faults in every fire district and department if we looked at them. We are here to serve people and get resources to help them in a timely mannor. District boundaries and egos should not matter. But they do and my question is why?

Yes, the list can go on and on...... And you can find fault with anything if you look hard enough..... As far as the original topic goes, the CAD system should decide who goes under M/A not the Chief requesting M/A unless their is a legitimate reason and sometimes there is.......... Do some Chiefs pick and choose who they call.... Absolutely...... Oh well...... But the way you guy's are picking a part the district lines is just nuts....... If the local terrain was flat and the land was claimed/developed when the "grid" system was developed it would be easy..... The lines would all be based on grid lines..... But they're not..... They're based on rivers,streams,creeks,rock walls, and electric fences etc.... And that's why the Town/Village/District lines are the mess they are.... Get over it...... And don't call me MR........ ;)

Edited by Photounit