Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danger

Town of Fishkill/City of Beacon EMS

58 posts in this topic

Many of you are right, actually all of you are right but you just don't place your knowledge correctly.

whether it be BVAC, Alamo, NDP, MLSS, Hudson Valley, East Fishkill, Beekman or the wizard of oz, NO ONE is perfect! We all miss calls. The only way to prove the missed averages correctly is to go and actually look over EVERYONE's stats.

Look we are all doing this to save lives, stop complaining about the bad and offer suggestions for improvement...slowdown the answer is not going to a fully paid county EMS plan and even if it was it would be at least 10 years or more before you got everyones cooperation and enough funding to put it in place. Changes would have to take place in a planned & orginized way not by blabbering over the internet.

So you former Dutchess County EMS workers that like to complain about the system up here get accurate facts before ASSUMING this that and the other thing because you only recognizee what you want and not the truth.

Jim

FYI in Chelsea, we are covered by 3 EMS agencies, BVAC, TOW & Alamo, they does cover a small section all by themselves.

Well, you weren't too far off brother. County does track the ALS units, each time one responds, they ask where they are responding from. If it's too far away, they will call the Agency and see if they have a closer unit to send, or ask the incident officer if they want a closer unit. They also, make sure the contracted towns know when their ALS provider drops a call, by toning out the next ALS provider, along with that FD's tones so they hear what is going on... And if you call out responding and don't tell them from where, you will get a nice, attitude filled, "WHERE ARE YOU RESPONDING FROM?!". And you better not get caught lying about it either....

So the intention is there, it just needs a little help i suppose

As for tracking the county doesn't track anything, they pole for the nearest police unit. they dispatch the proper fire district and whatever ALS company the town, village or fire district has agreements with.

asking where they are responding from is not tracking. putting gps units in all police cars and ambulances

is the only way to track the NEAREST unit.

Ultimetly, it comes down to you get what you pay for. Fishkill contracts (or so I have been told) & pys for one (1) ALS rig. If that is all you purchase, and you put no stipulation on mutual aid on your contract, if that rig is out you know that it will take some time for a back fill. Remeber, trasnsports pay the bills, so Alamo, HVPS, MLSS, NDP et. al. are going to be looking to send you a back fill unit that is droping off a patient in your neck of the woods rather than sending an empty unit.

Which brings up a ticklish question: county mutual aid. Many municipalities feel they can opt out of some of the mutual aid, prisions, VA facilities, mental health housing and neighboring communities covered by commercial agencies yet get full ALS mutual aid services at the drop of a hat. With the economy sinking faster than the Titanic the comercials are going to hurt themselves laughing at municpalities how want top self service for nothing. The county leaders need to step up & set some rules, ... and I need to stop smokin' whatever I am. :angry:

Ultimetly, it comes down to you get what you pay for. Fishkill contracts (or so I have been told) & pys for one (1) ALS rig. If that is all you purchase, and you put no stipulation on mutual aid on your contract, if that rig is out you know that it will take some time for a back fill. Remeber, trasnsports pay the bills, so Alamo, HVPS, MLSS, NDP et. al. are going to be looking to send you a back fill unit that is droping off a patient in your neck of the woods rather than sending an empty unit.

Which brings up a ticklish question: county mutual aid. Many municipalities feel they can opt out of some of the mutual aid, prisions, VA facilities, mental health housing and neighboring communities covered by commercial agencies yet get full ALS mutual aid services at the drop of a hat. With the economy sinking faster than the Titanic the comercials are going to hurt themselves laughing at municpalities how want top self service for nothing. The county leaders need to step up & set some rules, ... and I need to stop smokin' whatever I am. :angry:

and I need to stop smokin' whatever I am.

Thats for sure... ;-)

Funny isn't it? I can't tell you how many times his company of choice responded from new hamburg into east fishkill on priority jobs.

This bullshit is probably the only thing i miss about working in Dutchess and it's this bullshit that continues to hold EMS back. Thanks "brother."

What a joke.

First of all as Past Lt of East Fishkill, that is how our agreement is set. E.F. does not pay for an ALS service (they never have since Sloper.) East Fishkill gets exceptional service for what they pay for.

Mobile Life sent out a memo to all employees today that the Town of Fishkill awarded us a 3 year contract for the Rombout Fire District . Does anyone know what happened with the City of Beacon? They were supposedly dropping the medic as previously stated on here, but I still hear it responding to all ALS calls in the city, did the city change their minds, or did Alamo decide to leave it there.

Mobile Life sent out a memo to all employees today that the Town of Fishkill awarded us a 3 year contract for the Rombout Fire District . Does anyone know what happened with the City of Beacon? They were supposedly dropping the medic as previously stated on here, but I still hear it responding to all ALS calls in the city, did the city change their minds, or did Alamo decide to leave it there.

Welcome Rombout to the Mobile Life family. We've developed a good relationship helping out when we can over the past couple of years and I am certain we can continue to do even better. I'm working Fishkill tonight, so maybe I can get that first Rombout call. :rolleyes:

As far as the Beacon thing is concerned, I believe BVAC stepped forward to make sure the medic is still there. Also, BVAC is making a pretty good effort to make sure their ambulances are getting out more lately. Kudos to them.

I am curious as to how the Town of Fishkill can award a contract to one Fire District and not the other 2? So it sounds like my taxes are paying for 2 agencies? Or is something not being said here ?

"NWFDMedic

Welcome Rombout to the Mobile Life family. We've developed a good relationship helping out when we can over the past couple of years and I am certain we can continue to do even better. I'm working Fishkill tonight, so maybe I can get that first Rombout call. :rolleyes: "

And Alamo will be there till the clock strikes and we will continue to be there should Mobile Life need help since they now are covering Rombout, East Fishkill, and the Village of Wappingers...........

As for BVAC and the ALS unit guess what Alamo is still there which means Alamo will be responding to the following:

City of Beacon

Glenham coverage is from Beacon Volunteer Ambulance Corp. (BVAC)

Dutchess Junction coverage is from BVAC

Chelsea coverage is BVAC? (Fishkill area)

To all the Fire Districts and EMS services out there be safe and may we all have a Happy and Healthy 2009.

I am curious as to how the Town of Fishkill can award a contract to one Fire District and not the other 2? So it sounds like my taxes are paying for 2 agencies? Or is something not being said here ?

The only taxpayers that pay for this are those in the Ambulance District #1 which is only the Rombout Fire District. The other fire districts in the Town of Fishkill do NOT pay taxes towards EMS. They are covered by BVAC which only charges if they transport.

There are two separate ambulance tax areas. Just like part of my town has sewers and part does not.

I understand that but it doesn't make sense to me have 2 seprate companies in 1 town talk about confusion for the dispatchers in DC911. Of course this is all assuming that alamo is staying in the rest of the town. Honestly if I or my family needs ALS for a medical emergency then I don't care what patch is on the medic'd shoulder. Just my 2 cents

Well there are 3 more fire districts in the town beside Rombout. Glenham, Chelesa and Dutchess Junction. The only ambulance tax district is the Rombout fire district.

I understand that but it doesn't make sense to me have 2 seprate companies in 1 town talk about confusion for the dispatchers in DC911. Of course this is all assuming that alamo is staying in the rest of the town. Honestly if I or my family needs ALS for a medical emergency then I don't care what patch is on the medic'd shoulder. Just my 2 cents

It's dispatched by fire district. Having Alamo to half and MLSS to half is no more wasteful or inefficient than having 4 fire districts in the town.

BVAC will not be getting shut down at all. they are going to stay open and still provide the same coverage that they have right now. as far as i know they are going to hire people within to take care of the coverage. Just like Philipstown does. They will not be fully paid and they will have part time employees on if i heard correctly.

I guess this says it all...

http://poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/200...0320/1006\

Beacon, Fishkill to save on ambulance service charges

By Michael Woyton • Poughkeepsie Journal • January 9, 2009

The City of Beacon is using the Beacon Volunteer Ambulance Corps to cover the municipality at no cost to the city.

The Town of Fishkill reached an agreement with Mobile Life Support Service Inc., of New Windsor, to provide advanced life support services to the area covered by the Rombout Fire District - which is about half of the town - for $48,200 annually.

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Edited to Comply to EMTBravo Article Posting Requirements

I guess this says it all...

Beacon, Fishkill to save on ambulance service charges

By Michael Woyton • Poughkeepsie Journal • January 9, 2009

The City of Beacon is using the Beacon Volunteer Ambulance Corps to cover the municipality at no cost to the city.

The Town of Fishkill reached an agreement with Mobile Life Support Service Inc., of New Windsor, to provide advanced life support services to the area covered by the Rombout Fire District - which is about half of the town - for $48,200 annually.

I would probally say take a hike if I was going to have to go from paying $35,000 to $900,000. If that is the truth.

That is a HUGE price difference! Are those figures correct. If so How is MLSS able to do it so cheap?

They are not ALS... but it does say "gradually going to add paid staff as they obtain the ability to provide advanced life support." Which makes it sound like they are looking into/trying to become an ALS provider.... I know New Windsor just came online as ALS on 1/1/09.......

celticmedic643Posted Today, 11:10 AM That is a HUGE price difference! Are those figures correct. If so How is MLSS able to do it so cheap?

Celtic those numbers are soo soo incorrect.........hope all is well with you down in Put Valley....miss ya on my friday overnights :)

You get what you pay for though. It's going to be really interesting seeing if BVAC will be able to deliver there promise.

Its politics as usual. Save money , and hope nobody suffers.

celticmedic643Posted Today, 11:10 AM That is a HUGE price difference! Are those figures correct. If so How is MLSS able to do it so cheap?

Celtic those numbers are soo soo incorrect.........hope all is well with you down in Put Valley....miss ya on my friday overnights :)

Since when does the Poughkeepsie Journal print incorrect numbers??? ;) . You spying on me??? How did you know I had my feet up in Putnam Valley today?? ;)

Well IDN, I dont want to see this post become another closed thread... But in all fairness we in the field shouldnt be worriying about the $$$$ amount. That is Administrations concern. I understand it may be "your taxes at work" I am not denying that... but in the grand scheme of things the amount that it costs "you" personally may be like 5 bucks more or less... depending on the size of the district. I just dont want to see another pissing match start.... and the thread get closed.... Whatever it is, is what the town board (your elected officials), decide to be the best service for the town and its residents. Which Includes "YOU" so if you feel that you or loved ones Lives are not worth that... Idn what else to say...

- P.s. this is not intended for anyone in particular just throwing it out there.....

Well IDN, I dont want to see this post become another closed thread... But in all fairness we in the field shouldnt be worriying about the $$$$ amount. That is Administrations concern. I understand it may be "your taxes at work" I am not denying that... but in the grand scheme of things the amount that it costs "you" personally may be like 5 bucks more or less... depending on the size of the district. I just dont want to see another pissing match start.... and the thread get closed.... Whatever it is, is what the town board (your elected officials), decide to be the best service for the town and its residents. Which Includes "YOU" so if you feel that you or loved ones Lives are not worth that... Idn what else to say...

- P.s. this is not intended for anyone in particular just throwing it out there.....

Well when the journal says that there was a price difference of Almost $850,000.00 it is about the money. How is one company able to do it for $48,000.00 and the other company is coming in @ $900,000.00. When the price difference is that much the town board isnt looking @ peoples best interest the are looking at saving $850,000.00. ( No matter what they tell you ). Were the 2 companies biddding on the same thing? Its no secret that there is no love lose between Town of Fishkill ( Rombout ) and Alamo, but come on $850,000.00. And yes we in the field should be worried about the money, after all isnt that what pays our saleries? Judging by your age you dont own a home or have a family so you dont understand about taxes but yes $5.00 adds up. Between school, property, county, and town taxes they all add up.

They are not ALS... but it does say "gradually going to add paid staff as they obtain the ability to provide advanced life support." Which makes it sound like they are looking into/trying to become an ALS provider.... I know New Windsor just came online as ALS on 1/1/09.......

I'll tell you what, i would love to see BVAC thrive and flourish into Beacon EMS and become a well running municipal ALS/BLS agency. That would be awsome for the residents of the area they serve, and be a big step in Dutchess. If this is what they are in fact trying to accomplish, GOOD LUCK!!!

Edited by EFFP411

I always love to se how everyone complains about the cost of a ambulance contract how anyone can make a living when the ambulance is getting paid only 35,000 a year plus penalties for not responding in a certain amount of time yet what about the average in one fire district anywhere of the almost one and a half to two millon dollars worth of fire apparatus that has to be replaced every 10 years or so and there is no penalty for fire depts on a timely respone ? why is that ? if no one shows up we will go to the next fd and hope that they can respond the line between the fd and ems needs to be broken so we can all work for a county wide system just my two cents and yes i am a volunteer firefighter for about 16 years or so

FOIA Get your politicians to open up the bids to the public. Most likely, Alamo told Fishkill what the Town wanted in services ran about $900,000. Sounds like 2 dedicated ALS units day & 1 at night. MLSS for $42,000 sounds like 1 rig when available, not dedicated. Responding from: Village, Newburg or Wappingers. W/O seeing the bids, speculation only.

BVAC & ALS. Once upon a time I heard that BVAC had an ALS cert. Don't know how easy it is to reactivate one.