Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Man Struck By New Fire Truck Dies

8 posts in this topic

From The Bergen Record:

"A new fire truck being delivered to the Passaic Fire Department struck and killed a 41-year-old man on a Pennsylvania high on Thursday, authorities said.

The victim, who was not identified pending notification of his family, had survived a one-car crash in northeastern Pennsylvania, but was then struck and killed by the passing fire truck, police said.

Investigators said they found the man's wedding ring on his car seat. Pictures of two young children were propped up against the dashboard.

Witnesses tell police the man appeared to lunge out in front of the new aerial ladder truck. A vendor was driving the truck, delivering it to Passaic."

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Fire_truck...pedestrian.html

I got an email from the secretlist on firefighterclosecalls.com about this incident, tragic incident for all.

BillyG

The Secret List 11-21-08 0645 hours

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?75418

UPDATE: Fire apparatus being delivered strikes and kills man in PA.

Thursday, November 20, 2008- As posted yesterday, to be clear, the incident yesterday in Pennsylvania involved a piece of apparatus being delivered-NOT an in service rig. The man was struck and killed by a New Jersey FD's brand new aerial ladder truck in Monroe County, PA. The circumstances were pretty unusual-workers at a nearby vineyard saw the car go airborne then bounce down an embankment and slam into an iron gate and stone wall at the winery. The workers said a man staggered out of the car. They called 911 and told the man to stay put, but he refused their help and crawled back up the embankment...the man, now a "pedestrian" was then struck by the rig on the highway. The apparatus is brand new and has yet to be added to the fleet of the Passaic, NJ FD. A vendor was driving it from a Pierce Manufacturing plant to N.J., where it was going to have final work done before being delivered to the FD.

Edited by markmets415

Witnesses tell police the man appeared to lunge out in front of the new aerial ladder truck.

A friend of mine did this several years ago on I-84. He parked his car on the side of the road, got out, and walked in front of a tractor trailer.

My thoughts are with the driver on this one. That is a brutal nightmare to have to deal with. Ambulances and Buses cruising the Grand Concourse in the Bronx have taken more than a couple of distraught souls.

Its that time of the year, just before the hollidays when people become depressed. We get a lot of "man unders" in transit as people jump in front of subway trains. Lets hope that with all the economic problems this year, it does not get to bad. My thoughts are with the driver, it is very hard to get over something like this.

I feel for the drivers (it's a tiller) here, too. Not to make light of the situation, but I bet the next time he has a NJ delivery, he takes 80 straight across to 287 to avoid that area. Some people have more difficulty coping with things like that than others. Hopefully he will be OK. Thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim as well.

Edited by AndyC3J