Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LTNRFD

Catalytic converters and leaves

11 posts in this topic

This doesn't happen as much as it did back in the 70's. When catalytic converters were first placed on the exhaust systems there was a rash of car/leave fires. Remind family and friends do not park your car on a pile of leaves.

post-1341-1227307706.jpg

Photo by Paula Eisenberg

Edited by LTNRFD

Why does the catalytic converter cause this to happen could you please explain .I wasn't around in the 70's and I don't know too much about cars so I don't know .

Why does the catalytic converter cause this to happen could you please explain .I wasn't around in the 70's and I don't know too much about cars so I don't know .

The catalytic converter location , a low point in the middle of the bottom of the vehicle and its very high heat contacting the dry leaves. Same goes when a vehicle is on its side - Hot ! Very Hot !

And, without the proper heat sheilding, the catalytic converter can get as hot as 1200 degrees!!!

Beware especially of old bangers with a clapped-out engine and/or life-expired or burnt-out cat; they get much hotter than a cat in good condition (which is already plenty hot!).

Mike

The catalytic converter location , a low point in the middle of the bottom of the vehicle and its very high heat contacting the dry leaves. Same goes when a vehicle is on its side - Hot ! Very Hot !

THanks that's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Tom that's what I like about you, not afraid to ask a question if you're not sure. Great information and something not often talked about anymore with the onset of airbags, hybrid vehicles and the many other safety features; back to basics that are often overlooked today.

Edited by markmets415

Mark, your fire truck (Clip art) has amber lights...so it must be retired and not "respond" to calls. Good thing it didn't have blue......1,000 post later it still would be an issue :P lol

Mark, your fire truck (Clip art) has amber lights...so it must be retired and not "respond" to calls. Good thing it didn't have blue......1,000 post later it still would be an issue :P lol

You lost me for a minute there Capt., the yellow lighted rig belongs to LTNRFD not me.

You lost me for a minute there Capt., the yellow lighted rig belongs to LTNRFD not me.

Yes and LTNRFD's name is mark and the clip art of the truck is in post #1 of this thread

Yeah I saw his yellow lighted truck but didn't know his name was Mark, I got a PM letting me know that.