Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Mount Vernon 3rd Alarm (11/26/08)

8 posts in this topic

Below is a quote from today's story in the Journal News:

"Wright said firefighters appeared to get the blaze under control shortly after they arrived, but then the flames would rekindle. While only a few fire trucks were on scene about half-hour to an hour after the fire was reported, several other trucks, including from neighboring Fairview, arrived more than an hour after to help blast with water both the front and back of the structure."

Since when is Fairview a neighboring Fire District to Mount Vernon? An hour to responde to a call for Mutual Aid to Mount vernon? Thats pretty sad. This is exactly what was mentioned in some other posts on this site. With the significant delays now exhibited with "First Due Mutual Aid Companies" (apparently now Fairview, since New Rochelle and Yonkers have now moved lower on the list), someone is going to get unnecessarily seriously hurt and unnecessary major property damage will occur, unless someone in our County or State Government steps up and says "Enough is Enough" in Mount Vernon.

Unless Mount Vernon can immediately increase the level of apparatus available and manpower, it well might be that Countywide Regionalization of Fire Districts could be the answer (but I will not open up that "can of worms" again, because it is apparantly a very sore subject among a number of members of EMTBravo.net)

I'm pretty sure the hour long delay wasn't due to the distance. It sounds like they thought it was under control, found extension and then banged out the call for mutual aid.

Just some additional information:

This fire went to exterior operations really quickly.

If it wasn't for Fairview's truck (supplied by Pelham Engine 5) and a 2.5 handline, the #4 exposure would have also burned down. All the exposures were about 3 feet apart on all sides.

Mount Vernon Engine 6 also supplied Eastchester's ladder pipe.

I believe that, even in emergency mode, it takes Fairview's truck, with an officer and 3 firefighters, at least 1/2 hour to get to Mount Vernon and get set up to operate. Although I would normally complain that it strips Fairview of truck and engine company coverage since they use Engine company staff to cross floor staff the truck beyond the driver, Fairview has several ladder companies nearby. Fairview also has numerous members who live nearby, and are recalled in to staff the engine- and that's what Fairview should be reimbursed for.

However, if Mount Vernon has all their trucks up and running, it may have been a completly different story with apparatus response.

Just some additional information:

I believe that, even in emergency mode, it takes Fairview's truck, with an officer and 3 firefighters, at least 1/2 hour to get to Mount Vernon and get set up to operate.

It took approx 25 minutes to respond non emergency. Sprain Pkwy to BRP

Upon arrival it was evident that a working fire was in the basement with extension already to the 1st floor,2nd floor and yes the attic.A balloon frame house that we are all familiar with. At no point in time was the fire declared under control until later when it was under control. It was obvious from the get go where this fire was going. The crews involved busted butt and the mutual aid companys certainly helped saved both exposures that were in close proximity to the original fire building.

* On another note- as i have been posting on here recently about the importance of identifying a basement fire interior crews did actually find a hole burn't through the 1st floor upon entry. The TIC was being used as the 1st due engine crews made their way into the basement using the interior stairs. The experience of the member from the 1st due truck co. (ooops-only MV truck Co.) helped all on the floor above the fire to be aware of possible holes in the flooring and was communicated to all via portable radio. This is key because the info was relayed to all especially the IC who at that point pulled the crews out> This was an old wood frame house not a floor truss constructed building. Be safe!

Edited by hudson144

Thanks Res1 ! / Kevin.

Edited by hudson144

I stand corrected on the Fairview response.

Fairview originally went down to Mount Vernon on 11/26 to stand by. While they backed into Station 3 they were called to the scene. Response time no lights and sirens for stand by 17-21 mins, hitting all traffic lights in Mt. Vernon but got into the city 15-17 mins (non emergency). Fairview ended up going to scene as they were dispatched from Station 3 and they were on scene into 2 mins.