Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

Do you have a policy/SOP regarding injured pets?

35 posts in this topic

Exactly CK, I came across some WHALE stickers the other day in the office at the firehouse. This is surely something that we can get rolling with.

Hey that's my back and FF Mirande's mug.

thats the mug i was talking about

Yeah I mentioned them yesterday Dan, but in the event we can't wait that long it would be nice to have options, like a vets task force where we can get them to be available on certain days after hours. Most of the towns around us have vets so we may be able to pull this off.

I nominate Dan, aka x129 as our contact, any second!!!

Seriously as I stated my wife works for one vet, my sister works at another so maybe this is workable.

second

Hey Dan we just ran into this problem not to long ago remember the cats. JHK found 2 kittens under the last trailer fire we had they were strays living under the unocupied trailer. Our Cheif told a few of the rescue members to take the Chiefs car to a vets to get them checked out. They are doing fine last I checked adopted by some of our members.

l_5b809e639340446a8101fd4345ae0226.jpg

Photo credit to Pat from JHK.

Great photograph!

So what do we do next? Can every fire/EMS agency draft a plan... even if it only says that someone else will be in charge? Every town has some sort of animal control. Contact them to see what they will do. Contact law enforcement to see what they will do, and get dispatch in the loop as they will often end up as a first contact.

What does an SOP say?

1. When determination is made that there is a pet in need of assistance, dispatch and X will be alerted.

2. Pet will be secured in a manner safe to pet and responders.

3. Owner will be asked for information and preference for care.

4. In the event owner is unable to assist in pet triage, pet will ..................?

5. Officer in charge will contact X to confirm that care for pet has been addressed.

Contact information:

ACO:

Emergency Vet:

In house emergency contacts:

Humane Society:

Something like this? In tough economic times it is one more thing to show to government and the residents as something we are doing to deal with other people's emergencies.