Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PoqFFEMT

Hampton Virginia - Multi Alarm Photos 12/4/08

9 posts in this topic

So I'm on my way into work last night and I stop at 7-eleven for a cup of coffee. As I'm walking out I see a large column of smoke starting from up the street. (The smoke was reflecting off the clouds from the lights at Langley AFB) I smell the distinct smell of plastic burning and think to myself that this could be bad. I call the dispatcher and tell them that I'm on my way to take a look and she tells me that the board lit up right as I called about the fire. So it's 10 at night, I'm heading into work and going to miss this worker. As I come up on the scene, Hampton Truck 8 is jut setting up and Squad 10 is laying in the 5 inch to the truck. There is fire through the roof of a 50" x 30" apartment building.

post-14018-1228495805.jpg

By the time I walked around the Wendy's lot to the scene, the 2nd alarm was transmitted which brought in 2 more truck and 4 more engine companies (Total apparatus on scene at last call was 4 truck, 6 engine, 1 heavy rescue, 1 support vehicle, 5 medic units which ran for quite a while back and forth)

Hampton company 8 started with an interior attack based on the initial report of people still inside, but this quickly changed to a defensive around 10:20pm. There were quite a few evacuation calls when Truck 8 started it's stream into the building. I had to leave around 10:45 which is when they called the blaze under control.

post-14018-1228496316.jpg

post-14018-1228496425.jpg

post-14018-1228496549.jpg

Sorry for the not so great quality on the pictures. I didn't have all my gear with me. I've also attached the link to the local news story.

Link to Daily Press story

Edited by PoqFFEMT

The pics are pretty good did they find a cause and was anyone injuried

Yeah, one of the ones presumed missing is a guy out of one of the squadrons at Langley AFB. He was on local leave this week and now no one has seen or heard from him and no one has gotten in touch with him since Monday. Still no word on cause yet. The investigators have been on scene since last night but won't go into the structure due to safety concerns.

Edited by PoqFFEMT

Virginia Pilot is reporting now that two bodies have been recovered......

Virginian Pilot story

Here is the now updated Daily Press story.

Daily Press link

** Update **

As of 4:20pm, 3 bodies have been recovered

Edited by PoqFFEMT

This is a very common building type here in the Tidewater area.

3-4 story Frame with trussd roof and floors. Non sprinklered. Also has combustible balconies and a center breezeway with combustible stairs.

post-14018-1228496316.jpg

Fantastic picture!

This is a very common building type here in the Tidewater area.

3-4 story Frame with trussd roof and floors. Non sprinklered. Also has combustible balconies and a center breezeway with combustible stairs.

Sounds like you're screwed before the fire even starts! :blink:

Edited by x129K

John, Nice work!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing........