Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MerlinMedic

GPS Problems

9 posts in this topic

I have noticed an interesting problem with my NavCom 3100 after factory updates: it can not find one town in Dutches County. Whenever I put 123 XYZ street for anytown, it gives me the choices for that street in Lansing, Lockport and a few other towns even farther away. So, I break the glass & dig out my tired and worn county map, find the street & go & get. Once I get there, the GPS sees the street, knows the name and such, but STILL wont give me directions there! I have spken & emailed the company and their solution is to pay another $100.00 for updates.

Since I'll be damned if I will throw good money after bad, I am wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this with any GPS, or if this is just a NavCom issue. If you have had this problem, how was it fixed? :(

sounds like you got a bad update, and did they make you pay AGAIN for another update, thats messed up.

I've got a Garmin and have never had a problem with finding towns even though it insists I upgrade to the 2009 edition software which I refuse to do as it's $80.

I've got a Garmin and have never had a problem with finding towns even though it insists I upgrade to the 2009 edition software which I refuse to do as it's $80.

Still ahvent updated either one of my Garmins. They used to let you update two units per update cd, not any more though. $80 a pop is pretty steep. Roads don't change that much, do they?

Merlin,

Sometimes there are different names for towns that the GPS reconizes. ie. Millbrook/Town of Washington. Maybe try that. Otherwise get yourself a garmin. I got an extra one I'll sell it to ya cheap. Give me PM. Stay safe.

Merlin,

Sometimes there are different names for towns that the GPS reconizes. ie. Millbrook/Town of Washington.

Garmin is the same way between there being physical town names or which post office delivers the mail there.

I downloaded a GPS program for my CELL. It is pretty good but it can't find my brothers house in CT. Standing in his driveway and hitting locate puts me in the middle of space. I was told that it was because it was a new street. At least I didn't turn onto the TRAIN TRACKS!

Like any database, it will only show new stuff if it is updated. Periodic database updates for GPS to include new streets, etc. are not unusual nor is it uncommon to charge for it.

I feel your pain, aviation databases have to be updated every 56 days! :blink:

It is the whole town that the GPS has issues with. Does not matter what postal (zip) code the road is in; the bloody thing wont give me directions to the roads. When I am on the roads, it recognizes 'em, correctly lables them, but wont tell me how to get there. I think it is a software issue. The town has only been around since the 1700s, and some of the roads feel like they have been too! :blink: