Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NWFDMedic

St. Francis Hospital announces cutbacks

10 posts in this topic

From the Poughkeepsie Journal:

http://poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/200...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

The article seems to blame state reimbursement for the cuts in mental health services. I just don't understand what the state plans to do with all of these mental health patients. Cornwall has already closed their inpatient unit this month, while the other two mental health units in Orange County were already busting at the seams. St. Francis is generally full 99.9% of the time and has to scramble every day to find beds for patients who need legitimate help, polling the other local mental health units and facilities in Westchester and the City.

I can just imagine how many legitimate mental health patients aren't going to seek the treatment they need. If you went to a facility up here for mental health treatment and they sent you to some dirty nasty lock-down unit in Manhattan, would you go back again? I can hardly imagine how the patient feels.

The article seems to blame state reimbursement for the cuts in mental health services. I just don't understand what the state plans to do with all of these mental health patients. Cornwall has already closed their inpatient unit this month, while the other two mental health units in Orange County were already busting at the seams. St. Francis is generally full 99.9% of the time and has to scramble every day to find beds for patients who need legitimate help, polling the other local mental health units and facilities in Westchester and the City.

I can just imagine how many legitimate mental health patients aren't going to seek the treatment they need. If you went to a facility up here for mental health treatment and they sent you to some dirty nasty lock-down unit in Manhattan, would you go back again? I can hardly imagine how the patient feels.

The closing of mental health facilites is resulting in the swelling of the jail/prison population. If you commit a crime you can not be turned away and they know it. And while incarcerated they are eligible for mental health services. Sad but true.

Saint Francis is, as NWFDMedic, almost ALWAYS full. When I work in the Emergency Psych Center there, I have the hardest time trying to find an accepting hospital to transfer most of them out, since our facilities can not handle the volume.

It's sad but true, while this article sits on the front page of PoJo, there's a local brief about a free mental health screening that is taking place in Beacon. The state seems to understand that in these difficult financial times with foreclosures, unemployment, etc. that mental health takes a hit. They seem to be willing to commit the money to tell you if you need help; providing the help... different story.

Also, a good number of the dollars that go to mental health services are wasted by those who are "playing the system" and those who actually need and could benefit from the help get left in the cold. From what I've seen, Saints appears to be extremely efficient in figuring out which patients can benefit from help and getting them to the proper place for help, but I'm sure an already inundated system won't be helped by cutbacks.

Saint Francis is, as NWFDMedic, almost ALWAYS full. When I work in the Emergency Psych Center there, I have the hardest time trying to find an accepting hospital to transfer most of them out, since our facilities can not handle the volume.

When I worked at St's I always tried to stay away from EPIC. Working nights helped. I was just afraid they might keep me.

But seriously, they were always full. I remember several nights when nearly the entire ER was full of psych pts. A couple of times, we moved them all to the ortho room and posted security there.

When I worked at St's I always tried to stay away from EPIC. Working nights helped. I was just afraid they might keep me.

But seriously, they were always full. I remember several nights when nearly the entire ER was full of psych pts. A couple of times, we moved them all to the ortho room and posted security there.

I don't mind working EPCC. I have actually found I really enjoy it, and I have a greater appreciation and understanding of psychiatric patients, and understanding of their conditions. And believe me, when EPCC closes at night, half of the ER STILL tends to be filled with them taking up space.

Oh where do you start??? nathan knows.... I worked there for the SWAT team for 4 years so ive watched my pyschs, as well as seen how the other units at St Francis Zoo are operated

So basically your going to move your Psych floors down to the Er. For those who dont know the Acutal Brinn Ctr gets closed in the evening for the overnight. The pysch Patients who have not been accomadated are sent back to the Er until they can be re-evaluated the following morning at the earliest. You cant tell me there is not enough patients to fill the units that are being cut back. If anything Medicaid isnt paying. That is probably the actual cause although the Executives will never tell you that.

Due to the growing numbers in pyschiatric patients in the Hudson Valley area there are next to no beds for patients. So now its a good thing they expanded the ER for what they thought would be TRAUMA patients. I use the word TRAUMA very lightly not our budget or funding is low so lets call this jammed finger a TRAUMA. Yeah ok.

Now your going to tie up additional security and er techs to babysit on the overnight. Its goes back to when Hudson River Locked there doors. Where did everyone go to? St Francis, Kingston and Putnam and with cutbacks and no expansions for pyschiatric programs keep them beds open in the Er cause its getting cold, and Prescriptions arent getting any cheaper. :unsure::unsure::blink:

Nath how many on average do you guys have in the Brinn on any given day???

Edited by beentheredonethat

Now your going to tie up additional security and er techs to babysit on the overnight. Its goes back to when Hudson River Locked there doors. Where did everyone go to? St Francis, Kingston and Putnam and with cutbacks and no expansions for pyschiatric programs keep them beds open in the Er cause its getting cold, and Prescriptions arent getting any cheaper. :unsure::unsure::blink:

I can tell you where they are going because we generally take them there... Benedictine, Putnam, Arden Hill, St. Vincent's (Harrison), New York Presbyterian (White Plains), New York Presbyterian (Gracie Sq. Manhattan), and I'm sure a few other places I've forgotten.

Oh where do you start??? nathan knows.... I worked there for the SWAT team for 4 years so ive watched my pyschs, as well as seen how the other units at St Francis Zoo are operated

So basically your going to move your Psych floors down to the Er. For those who dont know the Acutal Brinn Ctr gets closed in the evening for the overnight. The pysch Patients who have not been accomadated are sent back to the Er until they can be re-evaluated the following morning at the earliest. You cant tell me there is not enough patients to fill the units that are being cut back. If anything Medicaid isnt paying. That is probably the actual cause although the Executives will never tell you that.

Due to the growing numbers in pyschiatric patients in the Hudson Valley area there are next to no beds for patients. So now its a good thing they expanded the ER for what they thought would be TRAUMA patients. I use the word TRAUMA very lightly not our budget or funding is low so lets call this jammed finger a TRAUMA. Yeah ok.

Nath how many on average do you guys have in the Brinn on any given day???

Depends on the day, but we can run anywhere from 5, to 25 psychiatric patients through the Brinn on any given day. Not all get admitted for psychiatric care, but you also have to count the fact that the Brinn opens at roughly 0800-0900hrs, and can close anywhere from 1900-2300hrs. Saints is "planning"

on keeping Brinn open 24/7 in the near future, but all that is going to do is alleviate the psych patients from sitting in the ER. Generally, the psychiatrists have bankers hours, and don't wander in on average until around 1100hrs, and end to leave like 1700hrs. Then from there, they just sit around with generally no disposition. The other psychiatric hospitals always seem to be full too, when I try and call for availability, so they will all be sitting in limbo, even worse than now!

I can tell you where they are going because we generally take them there... Benedictine, Putnam, Arden Hill, St. Vincent's (Harrison), New York Presbyterian (White Plains), New York Presbyterian (Gracie Sq. Manhattan), and I'm sure a few other places I've forgotten.

Seems to be the general list I go through! Most other places tend not to accept any that we call about.

Depends on the day, but we can run anywhere from 5, to 25 psychiatric patients through the Brinn on any given day. Not all get admitted for psychiatric care, but you also have to count the fact that the Brinn opens at roughly 0800-0900hrs, and can close anywhere from 1900-2300hrs. Saints is "planning"

on keeping Brinn open 24/7 in the near future, but all that is going to do is alleviate the psych patients from sitting in the ER. Generally, the psychiatrists have bankers hours, and don't wander in on average until around 1100hrs, and end to leave like 1700hrs. Then from there, they just sit around with generally no disposition. The other psychiatric hospitals always seem to be full too, when I try and call for availability, so they will all be sitting in limbo, even worse than now!

Seems to be the general list I go through! Most other places tend not to accept any that we call about.

Any of the CT Hospitals like Sharon or New Milford take them