Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Mack CF, Well Maintained, Can Last Forever

25 posts in this topic

nice trucks, but they're still the second best department in the Town of Darien...

Just Kidding of course (maybe?), but it is nice to see some "old school" apparatus still in service.

You've gotta love the Mack CF.

I've always said that if I hit the lottery, I'm going to buy and rebuild a CF as a parade unit.

I've always said that if I hit the lottery, I'm going to buy and rebuild a CF as a parade unit.

Why just one ? If you got that kind of money you might as well buy your own fleet I know I would nice macks by the way.

Edited by texastom791

I like the Macks alot, but I only like the way the CFs look

I hope I can win the lottery (or at least find a good job) before they start retiring those. Wouldn't mind having that quint......among other things.

Update: One of those rigs has since gone on to a second life in New Hampshire:http://firenews.org/nh/LisbonNHT1new.jpg

Great photos though Seth! Gotta love the Macks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Update: One of those rigs has since gone on to a second life in New Hampshire:http://firenews.org/nh/LisbonNHT1new.jpg

Great photos though Seth! Gotta love the Macks.

-Joe DA BUFF

Try third life! NHFD has been an all Mack department for quite some time. Noroton Heights has had their truck refurbished quite a lot. They had a Mack CF / Snorkel which I beleive was refurbed into the unit you are showing on your link. Another one of thier CF pumpers was converted into their current quint. They purcahsed an FDNY Mack CF chassis and had Marion rebuilt it into a rescue pumper.

Try third life! NHFD has been an all Mack department for quite some time. Noroton Heights has had their truck refurbished quite a lot. They had a Mack CF / Snorkel which I beleive was refurbed into the unit you are showing on your link. Another one of thier CF pumpers was converted into their current quint. They purcahsed an FDNY Mack CF chassis and had Marion rebuilt it into a rescue pumper.

I think the snorkel was refurbed and is currently NHFD's tanker that they have in service right now, Tanker 22. The one on the link that was sent to New Hampshire I think is and always was used as a tanker, Tanker 23 when it was theirs.

Mack = Work Horse!

I'd take a 70's or 80's Mack CF over

any make newer Fire Apparatus ANYTIME!

Mack was Great Fire Apparatus!

It's too bad Mack would not reconsider building Fire Apparatus again.

The only other close tie to a Mack CF would be a

1973 Ward La France P80 Ambassador aka "Engine 51"

LOL!

On the topic of Mack's

Now used primarily for Sanitation and Heavy Duty Construction

Mack just redesigned the Cab Over.

GREAT cab for a Rescue Truck!

Check out the NEW Mack TerraPro Cabover!

http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=2057

http://www.macktrucks.com/assets/mack/prod...erProCabovr.pdf

I hope I can win the lottery (or at least find a good job) before they start retiring those. Wouldn't mind having that quint......among other things.

Many a Mack CF could be had for under $10,000.. the NYC surplus auctions are one place in particular, as well as the plethora of apparatus resellers and collectors around. One in particular that comes to mind is a Mack CF/Baker/75' Aerialscope that sold for $6,000.00 through Firetec.. insane price despite the high mileage.

Me.. I'm waiting for my Young ;)

+1 on the Terrapro.. especially the MP8 485hp/1700 ft/lbs... seems like an AWESOME rescue chassis as was the MR (in our case) or MC. I'd like to see some over-the-road opinions before I made an ultimate decision secondary to the new EPA B.S. though.

Edited by Turborich

I think the snorkel was refurbed and is currently NHFD's tanker that they have in service right now, Tanker 22. The one on the link that was sent to New Hampshire I think is and always was used as a tanker, Tanker 23 when it was theirs.

Your right, I checked their old website. Snorkel 22 became Tanker 22 and Tanker 23 was the old 1968 pumper tanker. I still think it was and engine first though. I'll have to see if there are some old pictures on it because the tanker on it was relatively newer.

Here In Dobbs Ferry we are expecting delivery of a mack any day now. I believe it was purchased in New Hampshire from a private collector and it is a 81 mack that was restored in 96 and is a six seater, i know i dont have alot of the info but i will get it and post it along with the pics.

It will be replacing the old engine 49 and will be our 3rd due in.

if i am wrong on any info please correct me.

Why just one ? If you got that kind of money you might as well buy your own fleet I know I would nice macks by the way.

1 or 2 CF's, at least 1 C and 1-2 B's for my fleet, OK?

There's a butt-load of currently active (and recently retired) CF's that I'd love to have. But, the financial resources to acquire and maintain them are a fantasy of epic proportions. :rolleyes:

What I would give to get a Mack....

Then again, I can't drive a stick shift! :lol:

1 or 2 CF's, at least 1 C and 1-2 B's for my fleet, OK?

That would be a nice lookin fleet you better start buying your lotto tickets now.

Your right, I checked their old website. Snorkel 22 became Tanker 22 and Tanker 23 was the old 1968 pumper tanker. I still think it was and engine first though. I'll have to see if there are some old pictures on it because the tanker on it was relatively newer.

Tanker 23 was originally Engine 20, a 1968 CF. When a newer Engine 20 was purchased in 1988 the old 20 was refitted with a 2000 gallon tank and became Tanker 23. The 1988 CF Engine was made into a 75' Quint in 2002 and kept its number designation of 20.

Tanker 23 was originally Engine 20, a 1968 CF. When a newer Engine 20 was purchased in 1988 the old 20 was refitted with a 2000 gallon tank and became Tanker 23. The 1988 CF Engine was made into a 75' Quint in 2002 and kept its number designation of 20.

Thanks for the info and corrections M!

The "Heights" newest engine is a formre FDNY rig I belive it is E-21. We never had a MACK in New Canaan other than a loaner CF former Brentwood LI pumper for two weeks while our Hahn/Pierce refurb was getting a new steering box. The rig peformed well. I think these old MACK's if properly maintained can last a long time. The axles are strong the engines are incredible the frames are engineered well. There is also a parts network that will allow for getting parts for even an older rig. The cabs are built in such a way that when they rust its in areas that can easily be repaired. They are a great truck.

The "Heights" newest engine is a formre FDNY rig I belive it is E-21. We never had a MACK in New Canaan other than a loaner CF former Brentwood LI pumper for two weeks while our Hahn/Pierce refurb was getting a new steering box. The rig peformed well. I think these old MACK's if properly maintained can last a long time. The axles are strong the engines are incredible the frames are engineered well. There is also a parts network that will allow for getting parts for even an older rig. The cabs are built in such a way that when they rust its in areas that can easily be repaired. They are a great truck.

The Former FDNY BOT Mack CF is the "new" Engine 23. It was placed into service after the 1968 CF was taken out of service and donated to the Lisbon Fire Department in New Hampshire. Engine 21 is a 1983 Mack CF.

What I would give to get a Mack....

Then again, I can't drive a stick shift! :lol:

Well then, you need to find yourself a nice Mack with a "quad box". 2 sticks, 20 speed. 1 stick has 4 gear "ranges" while the other has 5 speeds. Oh, and the gears are not "synched".

You have to be able to steer, operate the clutch and accelerator, and shift both sticks at the same time.

Since the "Mack" fire apparatus was before my time....I wonder if some has or can put together a list of all of the Mack fire apparatus from the start of their production to today that served any amount of time in Westchester?

Edited by bvfdjc316