Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WHarley3

Somers Utility 5?

6 posts in this topic

I heard Somers FD dispatch several times today for Utility 5 for seperate incidents, many times after the call. What is this truck for?

Utility 5 is Somers FD's Traffic Incident Response Unit. It's equipped with tons of flares, road signs, cones, lighting equipment, speed-dry, and other equipment needed to manage/mitigate existing and potential traffic situations. It responds as an auxillary unit from the Lincolndale Firehouse/HQ's, usually staffed by members of Somers FD Fire Police, and is normally requested at MVA's and other incidents where traffic conditions need to be moderated. As far as I know,I heard it get dispatched and call 10-17 while at work to the MVA w/ extrication at Route 100 and Moseman, and the MVA at Route 100/Route 139. Didn't hear much else since I was busy at work and didn't have too good a chance to listen. I also don't know where it is on the line card, I think it responds generally when Fire Police is requested or other special calls by command. RES20CUE or Truck6018 would know better about the specifics of this unit.

I think a unit like this is a great idea, especially in traffic laden Westchester County. If U-5 had a large arrowboard, more scene lighting, and markings as a Traffic unit, it would be the perfect model for the county.

I also believe U-5 responds to MVA's with the Jaws when Eng 183 is Out of Service.

In addition to what Seth said, it carries a portable generator with lighting. These are on there so you don't have to tie up a vehicle for police assists for lighting, you can leave the generator and lights and pick them up later.

It also carries a trash pump and several sump pumps. These are on there so you don't tie up and possibly ruin a several thousand dollar portable fire pump for pump outs.

As far as Chris' comment, it can carry the Hurst tool in the event E183 is layed up.

The vehicle itself is a Ford F350 chassis with a utility body.

U-5 use to be QA-1 that was replaced by Eng 183

When the new MA-14 comes in this year (hopefully), the current MA-14 will become the new U-5. With a little luck, it will have better lighting, reflective taping and possibly an arrow board or message board.

The current U-5 does have an arrow stick.