Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

City park will house shrine to fallen firefighters

3 posts in this topic

A monument honoring Dutchess County firefighters who died in the line of duty is set to be dedicated this spring in the City of Poughkeepsie.

Link to POJO News

While a VERY nice idea and gesture, I do wish there was a "nicer" place to put this....why not at the County Fire Headquarters? I think it would get FAR more visitors there, there is always a steady stream of members at County...Mansion Square...well, let's just stay there is a steady stream of....others ;)

But, again, very nice. I can not wait to see it. I hope it NEVER has another name added to it.

However...............

The Exempt Firemen's Association has about 2,200 members and bills itself as the voice of volunteer firefighters in Dutchess

That statement is a little dramatic..........

Edited by x129K

Link to POJO News

While a VERY nice idea and gesture, I do wish there was a "nicer" place to put this....why not at the County Fire Headquarters? I think it would get FAR more visitors there, there is always a steady stream of members at County...Mansion Square...well, let's just stay there is a steady stream of....others ;)

But, again, very nice. I can not wait to see it. I hope it NEVER has another name added to it.

However...............

That statement is a little dramatic..........

I believe that there is a memorial at the County Department of Emergency Response. I am not sure who or what is on it, but there is some sort of memorial there. Next time that you are there, look to the right side of the main building. If I recall correctly, it is near the flagpoles. This new memorial seems a little redundant to me. There is also a firefighters memorial in Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery.

Below is one of the pictures of the memorial at the cemetery that I took over the summer.

Edited by bil14ga

Can not seem to figure out how to put photos into the reply. Sorry!!!!