Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJP399

Wellness Program

14 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering in your agency whether it is fire, ems or pd if you have an established wellness program? I began talking to the Lt. for the ems department here, and was exploring some ideas, on how we could create a wellness program for our agency. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i.e. Biggest Loser among Companies, Gym Memberships, Workout Groups, Speakers, etc...

Thanks

Mike

Our district reimburses 75% of your gym membership fee as long as you supply a form from the gym that says you were there at least 50 times in the past year.

It doesn't matter what time of the year you join. After 1 year, you can request the reimbursement.

Mike I def. believe a BIGGEST LOSER would be something to explore. One it helps the member out with their health and two it could bring morale up. Now that you have brought this subject I would like to sit down and explore some idea's and roll with them.

Any idea's or thoughts please let us know.

Sounds good to me, I am off all week, so I am going to take a look at my phys. ed. books from college get more ideas. So Give me a shoot anytime this week, or I will just see ya on a call.

Also if anyone could help with set up information for a biggest loser competition that would be greatly appreciated, as a Phys. Ed. teacher, I do have the knowledge, but if anyone could post some information that they feel is important for the set up, and flow of the program, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

My department is in the process of working out a deal with the local gym, where we are purchasing 10 memberships, and the way it works is we will be allowed to have up to 10 members in the gym at any given time. This works well for our numbers since (I believe) we have about 150 active members. My friend's corps. provides membership to a local Y, which I believe is donated, but I'm not sure.

As far as the Biggest Loser competition goes, I participated in one at my college, where we set up teams of 3-4, but I'm sure it could work with larger teams, with companies. I can gather all the information I have/remember from it (I did it last year, and 2 years ago) and I can post it if you'd like.

Thank you all for your posts.

It would be greatly appreciated for the info, however, if you like you can message me the information on the forum.

Thank you

Mike

Our district reimburses 75% of your gym membership fee as long as you supply a form from the gym that says you were there at least 50 times in the past year.

It doesn't matter what time of the year you join. After 1 year, you can request the reimbursement.

Wow, how many other volunteer departments get this benefit? How much does this cost the district? Hey, I was just curious...all of my volunteer Firefighter brothers...could you please post a reply detailing any benefits you receive as a result of your volunteer FD service, i.e. pensions, insurance, gym membership, free gas, vacations (i.e. conventions and training), tax breaks, tuition reimbursement, stipends, scholarship money for your kids, free use of fire department facilities for social events, etc?

Thank you. This is for a survey I am doing. Hey, maybe if enough of you respond to this, we can get the info out about all these great benefits and attract some more volunteers for your respective departments.

Wow, how many other volunteer departments get this benefit? How much does this cost the district? Hey, I was just curious...all of my volunteer Firefighter brothers...could you please post a reply detailing any benefits you receive as a result of your volunteer FD service, i.e. pensions, insurance, gym membership, free gas, vacations (i.e. conventions and training), tax breaks, tuition reimbursement, stipends, scholarship money for your kids, free use of fire department facilities for social events, etc?

Thank you. This is for a survey I am doing. Hey, maybe if enough of you respond to this, we can get the info out about all these great benefits and attract some more volunteers for your respective departments.

Man if THAT isnt a Trojan Horse............ :lol:

Chief, I think you have too much spare time on your hands. :rolleyes:

Gee, I think it would be warranted for the Moderators to delete JFlynn's post, since this topic is about Wellness programs.

But I guess as volunteers we shouldn't even consider doing anything for our members...

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering in your agency whether it is fire, ems or pd if you have an established wellness program?

Mike,

This is a great time of the year to bring up this subject, with many people making New Year's resolutions to lose weight, get into shape, give up smoking, etc.

With heart attacks being the number one killer and firefighting being a very strenuous job, firefighters should be especially concerned about their physical conditioning.

I'll watch with interest for any and all positive suggestions.

Some departments host Weight Watchers meetings, others reimburse for gym memberships. My particular company has a nicely equipped gym of its own in the basement.

A formalized Wellness Program would the best.

Happy New Year & Stay Safe,

Syd Henry

Elmsford FD

Syd and others,

Thank you for the PM as well as the reply on the forum. I had tried replying back on the pm, however there was an error, but thank you for the information and to the many others that have contributed their useful and helpful pieces of information, all is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Anyone who is veteran out there. The VA Hospital in Montrose has a Wellness program for outpatients that includes exercise programs and nutrition classes. Just contract the VA

For anyone interested in possibly starting their own program or "Biggest Loser" Challenge. I went to Barnes and Nobles last night, and purchased the book, it seems like a very interesting, it is an easy read, with some good information for the beginner. However, it has a chapter solely dedicated to creating your own Biggest Loser Challenge, from starting it up, to your own challenges, to a cardio and circuit program. As well as a recipe and motivational chapter from the previous seasons contestants.

Seems pretty interesting, so we shall see how it works, or if it gets the members out as well, whom are interested.

-Mike