Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adding Officers To Peekskill FD Career Staff

34 posts in this topic

Wait....a person in a position that gets voted on, and could change yearly, is resposible for the hiring process of permanent career staff?

I guess I had never thought of that....as the combo departments around here have career Chiefs (Deputy Chief...but not from lack of trying)....but that could be interesting...and dare I say...somewhat of a concern, given the potential volitlity and inherent ever changing leadership of the volunteer service...

The chief still has to follow the test results of the civil service exam, but that only goes so far.

Wait....a person in a position that gets voted on, and could change yearly, is resposible for the hiring process of permanent career staff?

I guess I had never thought of that....as the combo departments around here have career Chiefs (Deputy Chief...but not from lack of trying)....but that could be interesting...and dare I say...somewhat of a concern, given the potential volitlity and inherent ever changing leadership of the volunteer service...

Imagine that, someone who won't be in charge for more than a few years having a say in who will be hired for a career that will be at least 20 years, when that person has never held that job. Sounds like a flaw in the system to me.

I give myself orders all the time! :blink:

I give myself orders all the time! blink.gif

aww come on now ang we know cath really gives the orders

The chief still has to follow the test results of the civil service exam, but that only goes so far.

Thats pretty scary...one has to be VERY in tune to the inner workings of Civil Service law to be effective in hiring/bargaining process...one of my former partners on the bus is a Deputy Chief of a combo department...and he is VERY well versed in that...we'd talk and some of the rules would make my head spin...it's not to be taken lighlty for sure...

Sorry for the hijack. ;)