Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pudge3311

Mt. Vernon - Tower Ladder 1

12 posts in this topic

I believe this rig will replace the Mack, which is currently used as a reserve piece. When the rig goes into service, it is more than likely going to replace Tower Ladder 3, which will become the reserve. The city may not get rid of the Mack. Some members are hoping that the city goes back to 3 trucks, which would therefore mean Tower Ladder 3 would go back in service as a front line rig.

Any FDMV boys want to comment on this?

I heard once the new bare-bones Seagrave is delivered, that one of the two, either the Mack or E-One, would go out for refurbishment.

Also, anybody know anything about two Ferrara engines supposedly on order?

Personally, i think if they send one of the trucks out for refurb, that it should be the Mack. That truck still looks and runs great and with a little work, it would probly be able to go back out as a first run unit or at least serve for many many more years to come.

The E-One just got a new engine (if i remember correctly). So if you ask me, Mt Vernon shouldve refurbed it then. If they did, great. That means that they can get the old Mack fixed up really well. If the E-One didnt get refurbed back when it was out of service, then i stand by the comments i made above.

From what i have heard, a lot of members arent thrilled with tower 3. they believe it is slow, and they arent in love with the fact that its a rearmount. As for the Mack, id love to see it refurbed. Such a great looking truck, dont know why anyone would ever get rid of one of them. They take beating after beating and with a little PM, they will last years. Look at Pelham Manor TL3, little rust on the outside, but overall, from the outside it still looks like like its half as old as its 30 years. Sure the older rigs dont have all the bells and whistles of todays, but IMO, they have much more character.

Isnt one of Mt. Vernons Ladder the old Tower Ladder from West Harrison?

FDMV's new Seagrave 95' Tower is slated to be built along with another dept's (unknown who) 95' before Seagrave goes into production of 11 FDNY 75' footers sometime around May or June. Right now this is all tentative but looks like it will happen. Possibly they could see the rig around July although anything can change. As far as the Ferrara engines they are scheduled to be built and you may be able to see them at Firehouse Expo in Baltimore in July. Ladder 3 did have the motor and tranny redone and there is no talk of re-furbing anything else at this point ($$$$). The only talk was of doing something with R1 as a re-chassis possibilty but again $$$$. We'll see..............................

if 3 trucks go into service in MV it may correct the mutual aid problem as far as truck companys coming into MV but it will create another problem, 3 LESS FIREFIGHTERS AT THE FIRE SCENE! IN OTHER WORDS IF MV GETS A JOB THE 3RD TRUCK WOULD NOT BE SENT TO THE FIRE THIS WAY 3 MEN AND "MAYBE" AND OFFICER WILL BE IN SERVICE TO PROTECT THE CITY!

From what I heard their new Ferrara Engine's will hopefully be delieverd some time in July. Right around the sametime as Baltimore(might even make the show). But that is just a rumor.

Let me chime in here. I cann't speak about ferrara engines but I do know from 1st hand experience the ladders are garbage. In one dept I worked at in the south east we had several ferrara ladders and the were garbage. the fell apt and were always going down for several different things between the engine,transmission and ladder problems. I hope fdmv has better luck with those engines than we did with the trucks. as well the service sucked

Doesnt Thornwood Have Tower Ladder 1?

Yes, but as someone once said, when in rome...

Mt Vernon doesn't use the county plate assignments when they are talking amongst themselves. In reallity, their engines are 201-206, and L61, L62, they refer to them as E1-E6, L1, L2.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off again I'll repeat an earlier post of:

FDMV never had a TL county designator. TL16 was chosen for their new Ladder 1. Because 16 is 61 reversed. We'll see....