Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LFD171

Hastings-on Hudson new Tiller

6 posts in this topic

From today's JN Legal Notices:

Village of Hastings-on Hudson accepting bids for a new "Tractor Drawn Aerial Ladder on a Custom Chassis." Bids due 2/23/09.

Congrats to HHFD and I am thrilled to see that the tiller tradition will contine for them.

It's not a matter of tradition but is a necessity due to the configuration of intersections and size of streets.

quite a few houses are set back with narrow driveways and are not accessible directly from the street so it is a must.

Hopefully, the spec's are broad enough to include a variety of manufaturers to bid. It should be interesting, especially with all the dealer changes that have taken place and all the manufacturers looking to get into the Westchester market, and add more tillers to their portfolio...especially Smeal.

But, as I was taught in LA City and LA County, which both utilize an all-tiller fleet, a tiller is only as good as the driver and tillerman, and their being able to communicate and work together. Takes a lot of training and experience, as with any piece of equipment, but the tiller can be so verstatile if used correctly.

And, once again, thanks to LFD171 for the heads up on this!!

I heard that KME has won the bid to build a tiller for Hastings. Can anyone confirm?

I also heard that KME won the bid. Maybe it will look like LA's KME tillers.

I can confirm that KME is the winning bidder...There was a pre-building meeting last month, I believe the process has begun