Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E64PCFD2044

10-Codes

35 posts in this topic

westchester county never used 10-75 for working fire until the buffs took over.

#1. There's nothing wrong with buffiness. It's the buffs that probaly progress things a little, and the WC Anti-Progressive Cranky (and sometimes ignorant) "Keep It Like It's Been For 100 Years" movement hates change...well too bad! Just try and keep up!!! We will win...eventually!! The youth is taking over!!!

And your point with the 10-75 being??? Westchester County never used the 10 code for working fire either at all before.

10 Codes need to be standardized. Every department should have the same set. EVERY single WC agency needs to come to a unanimous decision.

Instead of a unianimous decision, why doesn't 60 just say, "OK, here's our list of 10 codes, this is what you're going to use."???

Again, here's my point.

10-16 malfunction: 5 syllables.

False malfunction: 4 syllables.

10-16: 3 syllables.

False alarm: same thing.

10-75: 5 syllables.

Working fire: 4 syllables.

10-29: 4 syllables.

Progress report: 4 syllables.

10-17: 4 syllables.

Responding: 3 syllables.

10-19: 3 syllables.

On location: 4 syllables. (A "winner?")

Where are the codes "simplifying things?" Not to mention how many times PER DAY units will say "99A7 to 60 Control, we're 10-17 ABC Hospital Center," when the PROPER 10-CODE is 10-85. However, if you say "ENROUTE" you save TWO syllables either way!!!

Clear text!!!!! Ten Codes are for COPS and CRITICAL INFO. Stop thinking you sound cool when you use a 10-code, because too many people out there in the WC use the wrong ones daily!!!

X635 - you make a good point about a "Countywide dialogue." Everything should be the same from one town to the next. If I say I have fire on the C2 side, do you know what I mean? If I ask for a truck to relocate to my quarters, am I getting a Ladder Company or an Engine?! Do we all know what is meant by "doubtful," "probable," and "all-hands?" I bet those reading this post all have different opinions to all of these.

And, I know a lot of people don't grasp this concept, but the first arriving unit should be giving a quick size-up, and the person establishing command should be broadcasting this info too. How many times will "EMTBravo FD" have a fire, and, say Car 2996 has command. The incoming Mutual Aid almost always calls the #1 chief 3/4 of the time!!! NOT THE ACTUAL IC!!! When you pull up - size-up, establish command and say what you mean!!!

Enough ranting - I'm going to bed!

plain english is the best, i agree, so lets start with....the telephone rings and the dispatcher says "Fire Control, (name here) speaking." Instead of the b.s. number system...it all starts there ya know...

Hey, I like the idea of giving em a dispatcher number. Just add to the regulation that if your name is requested you have to give them your full name.

Also, IMHO you build a relationship with the members out in the field. I don't know how it is with WC, but there are members and buffs out there who listen up for specific voices on that radio, and who know when Dispatcher# so and so is working, when it hits the fan, they will be well taken care of.