Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Boston Fire Department Defends Using Trucks for Medical Calls

35 posts in this topic

I think the Capt answered it already. It doesnt matter if the 1st due engine is out on a sprained ankle, or a car fire if they are out there out. If many of your resources are tied up at incidents it becomes a dispatch issue to fill in the gaps with relocators. I know in the city if there is high call volume in a particular area that has stripped resources the dispatchers will relocate companies. Im sure this can be done, and is done in Westchester as well. We cant deny a response because we are waiting for a fire to come in. For the person who calls 911 with a medical condition, whatever it may be, this is a true emergency. They expect, and deserve the same level of care as everyone else regardless of call volume.

I hear ya Bnechis, but are you telling me that your Dept. will send all 5 Eng.Cos. out on EMS calls leaving the rest of the City without any water supply?

We have sent all 5, we also have a quint that can supply water, that is manned and does not responde on EMS calls. EMS has been able to clear units quickly, particularly when they know there is a potential fire & with the rig already on the road, its response time is generally not hurt.

Don't we have an obligation to provide Fire Protection?

Yes, but we also have an obligation to provide what ever other service the municipality sets for us. If ones mission statement or municipal charter lists these services, then our obligation is to meet those goals.

What about the combo depts in Westchester that have even fewer resources. If they only have 1 or 2 engines and they send it out on an EMS call, then what?

If the City doesn't want to pay for EMS that isn't our fault.

NR does pay for EMS. What about the other communities? While somey would love to do no calls and get paid, do you think the community would be so supportive? A number of years ago there was a suggestion that since 68% of our calls were EMS (that number is lower now), if NRFD stopped going on EMS we could be cut by 68%. That would leave us with 2 engines, 1 ladder and a chief. It would mean the ellimination of 114 firefighters & officers. The NRPD would add 4 ESU units 24/7 to cover the EMS calls and they would only need 36 officers to do it, so the city would save the cost of 78 employees.

If I was a taxpayer and the 1st due Eng.Co. was out on a sprained ankle, I'd be pretty pissed off if I had a true Emergency.

I am a tax payer and if the 1st due were out on an EMS call, an AFA, a CO call or a 5 alarm fire, I'd be pretty pissed off if I needed them. Its not the kind of call they are on, its the fact that I pay for the service they should be available 24/7/365 for just me....right?

How many taxpayers are unwilling to support emergecny services until they are dialing 911?

Simple solution. Proper priority/EMD dispatching. Don't send FD when not needed.

Simple solution. Proper priority/EMD dispatching. Don't send FD when not needed.

Its not so simple. It would be if there was only 1 PSAP....but...

60 Controls policy is if they don't speak with the caller, then they cant determine the priority, so everything goes. Big problem is getting both the loacal PSAP dispatchers and the cell 911's to transfer the call.

Edited by Bnechis

How about dispatching EMS first and then when EMS arrives on the scene, if additional resources are needed they can call for them (for example, for the ankle sprain...no need for additional resources. For a more serious emergency, then call for what you need). Now granted, If someone calls in a cardiac arrest 1/2 a block away from a firehouse, then send out fire right away. Basic good common sense.