Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Volunteer Firefighter/EMS Tax Break

13 posts in this topic

Since it is upon all of us, would anyone happen to know what the form is for NY on the tax break/credit? And what proof you need to file it?

That's interesting. I'd heard it said previously that it didn't apply to members of combination departments. But looking at the language on the form:

"Active volunteer firefighter means a person who has been

approved by the authorities in control of a duly organized New

York State volunteer fire company or New York State volunteer

fire department as an active volunteer firefighter of the fire

company or department and who is faithfully and actually

performing service in the protection of life and property from

fire or other emergency, accident or calamity in connection with

which the services of the fire company or fire department are

required"

There's nothing to exclude members of combination departments. Which makes is only fair - quite a few of our guys go on a bloody lot of calls, a lot more than a quiet 'all volunteer' department.

Since it is upon all of us, would anyone happen to know what the form is for NY on the tax break/credit? And what proof you need to file it?

No proof required, just list the address of the organization.

No proof required, just list the address of the organization.

So if no proof is required, anyone can just write down the name of the local VFD & not pay.......the whole idea was to get people to volunteer.

That's interesting. I'd heard it said previously that it didn't apply to members of combination departments. But looking at the language on the form:

The combo exemption was for county property tax

So if no proof is required, anyone can just write down the name of the local VFD & not pay.......the whole idea was to get people to volunteer.

If your audited I am sure they will request some sort of proof.

They ask people to state the name and contact address for their VFD. The implication is that they may/will be checked.

The combo exemption was for county property tax

I definitely need more sleep. Thanks!

Sorry guys but iam lost , I go to the link provided and I cant find it maybe iam blind or just plain DUMB!!!

They ask people to state the name and contact address for their VFD. The implication is that they may/will be checked.

I believe you are correct. I'd also think that falsely stating that you are an active volunteer when in fact your not even part of the volunteer fire service would have legal consequences.