Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
191SH

Tough commute for firefighter - from jail

9 posts in this topic

PATERSON, N.J. (AP) - Paterson city officials say they have fired a New Jersey fire captain who was commuting to work from a Pennsylvania prison.

Paterson fire Capt. Thomas Alala was serving a year for drunken driving when city officials discovered in May that he was commuting roughly 70 miles from the Northampton County Prison in Easton, Pa., for his 24-hour shifts

Story

Edited by jack10562
add quote tag

I believe the story of this captain has been posted here before, however, these developments im sure are new and quite eye-opening for those involved on the cities end.

I believe the story of this captain has been posted here before, however, these developments im sure are new and quite eye-opening for those involved on the cities end.

sorry should have clarified that there were new developments to the story

That's unbelievable... How could this have been missed? How long was he pulling this off?

Edited by Doc

That's unbelievable... How could this have been missed? How long was he pulling this off?

Different state....could have been a misdemeanor charge...and I don't think anyone would follow him home...at least I would hope not.

Why get upset? Didn't they ignore his first TWO drunk driving convictions?

Different state....could have been a misdemeanor charge...and I don't think anyone would follow him home...at least I would hope not.

Following a guy home is one thing, but remaining ignorant of an escalating problem with one of your employees is another. I also think the bigger issue was his not reporting the conviction. Isn't that sort of thing a condition of employment?

I can see how this would have slipped through the cracks - state lines and all. I still wonder how long this was going on. I mean, sooner or later, something's going to slip. The priors are evidence of habitual commission and hiding it like this would seem to indicate that he hasn't yet admitted he has a problem. If it's big enough to get three convictions and a prison term, I'm sure there were plenty of signs.

Why get upset? Didn't they ignore his first TWO drunk driving convictions?

Yeah, really. It's amazing what people can get away with. Not knowing the details here, I'd hope that his employer was working with the guy, ie. employee assistance, etc... but it seems that putting a state border between yourself and a job can insulate you. The onus was on him to report his conviction to his employer. They say you have to hit bottom...

Being ignorant of how this works outside of non-emergency service employment, what are the prevailing policies for dealing with an employee with drug or alcohol problems? At my day job we have an employee assistance program - to get you the help needed and help you keep your job.

IN NYC, depending on the circumstances you can get substance abuse help and keep you job. If its an illegal drug you have to come to them for help before they catch you. Once they catch you through conviction or drug test, you're done.