Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

FDNY Story - NY Post

11 posts in this topic

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02152009/news/...cris_155244.htm

The lights are still on at four city firehouses that were slated for nighttime closure beginning last month, The Post has learned.

The FDNY has been unable to mothball four fire companies - a cutback that brass trumpeted last month as a $9 million cost-saving measure - because the agency has 315 firefighters too many, officials admitted.

The article sounds like they're pissed the houses are still open. Like they want houses closed.

315 firemen TOO MANY?!?!?!?!

Hello jerkoff - it's NEW YORK CITY!

8 years ago they were on the highest of pedestels..now...everyone is looking to cut throats...

Never Forget... MY umm well you know!

what do you expect? its the post, is, was and always will be a rag. its run by that idiot, rupurt murdoch.

last i remember hearing the house were being closed but the firefighters were going to other house not saving any money except maybe fuel??? heat and electric still on

No savings there, since the houses are staying open as the other company is still open. On these overnights they're just closing 1 of 2 companies. For now.

didn't they have layoffs in the 70?

didn't they have layoffs in the 70?

Yes, I know PD had layoffs, not sure about FD back then. It took a long time to recover from that

EDIT: after some research, in 1975, the NYPD laid off 5000 Police Officers, and the FDNY laid off 1100 firefighters.

Edited by grumpyff

Yes, I know PD had layoffs, not sure about FD back then. It took a long time to recover from that

EDIT: after some research, in 1975, the NYPD laid off 5000 Police Officers, and the FDNY laid off 1100 firefighters.

still dont have enough of either

If current projections of retirements and cancelled academy classes are correct NYPD will be down to roughly 33,400 police officers (includes all ranks, and most likely school safety and traffic agents in that number) in 2010. the last time the headcount was that low was 1991. Most precincts are already short handed, and its only going to get worse. During 9/11 we had 41,000.

This is what you get when you have an out-of-touch "mayor" who just so happens to have a Napoleonic complex and too much money for his own good. (Compounding that, Scopetta is inept and Ray Ray is just another politician, but that's another story.) Maybe instead of running for a rather unethical third term, he should donate to the city whatever money he has in his re-election fund. I mean, hey, he says that he's a philanthropist, right? Instead of cutting everything and taxing the everloving hell out of everyone except his rich friends, why doesn't he take some money out of that pot that he's been sitting on and help us all out?