Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
milan fire dept probie

2nd Alarm Structure Fire/Fit-5 Use - Milan (Dutchess)

22 posts in this topic

Nice. What a cool house - I love it!

Thats the kind of fire you love - out a couple of windows - self vented....get in there and get it...

Nice job guys, looks like a lot of fire in pics...

So how did the FIT-5 preform???

What was reason for deployment and did it help with making the fire fight easier??

Just curious, trying to get some info on it's true meaning of need... Afterall it does cost around 1500 dollars per canister, right???

Nice job guys, looks like a lot of fire in pics...

So how did the FIT-5 preform???

What was reason for deployment and did it help with making the fire fight easier??

Just curious, trying to get some info on it's true meaning of need... Afterall it does cost around 1500 dollars per canister, right???

actualy the device costs about $1200 each but on this particular fire there were 2 cars in the yard and a purse still on the front seat of one of the cars so the thought was that there is still people inside so the desision was made by a firefighter jeff galm to throw the device to try and slow the spread of the fire to give us time to do our search. it made a great difference it held the fire to that room for several more minutes until we could establish an aggresive interior attack it made a difference for that house standing and that house being burned down to the ground in my mind and looking at the way the fire was held that if we did not deploy the device we would have lost the whole house

As a homeowner, not a ff, can these be purchased? Throw it and give the FD a chance to get there and put out the rest!

Yes, within New York State they can be purchased by non firefighters.

As a homeowner, not a ff, can these be purchased? Throw it and give the FD a chance to get there and put out the rest!

the fit-5 is a great tool, it allowed us to do our job and save the house. the fit 5 prevented the fire from spreading into the main structure and taking the whole building to the basement. it was a great stop b the fit 5 and interior crews....job well done by everyone.

Not trying to start a fight or putting down any one the fit 5 is a good supresion tool but if its not used at the right time or the fire is already in the free burn stage it is not as effective but in this case it was at the right time in the right place and the right fire fighters good job milan nice stop

actualy the device costs about $1200 each but on this particular fire there were 2 cars in the yard and a purse still on the front seat of one of the cars so the thought was that there is still people inside so the desision was made by a firefighter jeff galm to throw the device to try and slow the spread of the fire to give us time to do our search. it made a great difference it held the fire to that room for several more minutes until we could establish an aggresive interior attack it made a difference for that house standing and that house being burned down to the ground in my mind and looking at the way the fire was held that if we did not deploy the device we would have lost the whole house

Say no more. Strong work.

MFD just curious about your post. It gave you several minutes to establish and agressive interior attack and prevented a total loss. From the pics it looks like a 1 room fire, why would you say this would of been a total loss without the fit5. Give yourselves some credit. I dont think it would have taken you several minutes to stretch and operate a line at this fire, and I think you guys would have kept it to the area of origin with some minor extension possible unless there was a serious manpower or supply issue that was not mentioned. Just curious of the decision making process here. I understand you thought the place was occupied and you had a well involved situation but it concerns me that the oveall opinion is that this would of been a total loss if you didnt have the Fit5. Modern technology should never take the place of a well trained and agressive group of Firefighters, if it does we are all in trouble.

Whether it was the time to use the fit 5 or not who cares nobody got hurt and everyone went home!!!nice job Milan !!!

I was thinking along the same lines as Paul. A efficiently stretched and properly placed initial hoseline would have solved many problems as well. Life in the room of origin is obviously untenable...if the floor above was a concerned rapid search via VES is also a viable option. I just want to note that I am not judging any decision...it was made and those involved feel it was positive, nor am I making any comments about the fit-5.

I was thinking along the same lines as Paul. A efficiently stretched and properly placed initial hoseline would have solved many problems as well. Life in the room of origin is obviously untenable...if the floor above was a concerned rapid search via VES is also a viable option. I just want to note that I am not judging any decision...it was made and those involved feel it was positive, nor am I making any comments about the fit-5.

I understand those feelings and its just my opinion about the way it supressed the fire or at leased slowed it down. i feel it saved the building b/c of where the house was located it was in a pretty remote part of our district for our engines so it took several minutes for additional interior firefighters and engines to arrive and it did help that it was only a one room fire at that time and i give all the credit to the guys in my dept and the great mutual aid firefighters we had it was an amazing stop and a great effort i just think that the amount of time that went by any other type of fire would have spread much farther but its one of those opinion fire and there are a lot of variables to consider but i just feel that the fit-5 gave us the time we needed to get in and get the job done

MFD I understand your opinions and you make some valid points. Manpower and suffcient water supply are always the difference makers on any fire so the fact that you guys were thinking about both is great. We must remember what we can and cant do as a firefighting force. We also must take into account what we have on scene and what we can accomplish. A 1 room fire in a P.D. can most certinly be put out with tank water or less. As John Salka has said many times " if you cant put out 2-3 rooms with your tank your obviously doing something wrong". Looking at those pics I am quite certain that fire could of been extinguished without using "the new toy" without losing the entire home in the process.

MFD I understand your opinions and you make some valid points. Manpower and suffcient water supply are always the difference makers on any fire so the fact that you guys were thinking about both is great. We must remember what we can and cant do as a firefighting force. We also must take into account what we have on scene and what we can accomplish. A 1 room fire in a P.D. can most certinly be put out with tank water or less. As John Salka has said many times " if you cant put out 2-3 rooms with your tank your obviously doing something wrong". Looking at those pics I am quite certain that fire could of been extinguished without using "the new toy" without losing the entire home in the process.

From the photos, this was a nozzleman's dream.... a well vented fire with a known location. Go in the front door, down the hallway, find the door to the fire room, operate the line from the doorway, knockdown the main body of fire, move into the room giving the room a good bath, let the truckies open up the place, give a final wash down, drain the line, and go home. 200-400 gallons max.

Set of turnout gear: $3500

Fit-5: $1200

Experience at a good nozzle job: Priceless

nice stop! looks like a lot of fire in those pics! good work

I have to agree. The guys on the nozzle pray for jobs like that. K/D the fire, in and out. A little overhaul and go back to the station. From the pics didn't look like a line could not have taken care of it. I don't think you would have lost the house as stated in a previous post.

A question for the MFD Probie or anyone else from Milan. Same fire, same response, same manning, same supply, but no fit5. What would the tactics of been? I think you would of immeadiately streched the first line and operated as TSull and others described. We cant get caught up on the latest and greatest gimics that come along and lose site of basic Firefighting. This was a standard structural fire, that could of been handled with stardard tactics. Well vented, fire showing, no great shakes for an aggressive and well trained engine company. Save the toy for the tough ones, and get in there already. :D

A question for the MFD Probie or anyone else from Milan. Same fire, same response, same manning, same supply, but no fit5. What would the tactics of been? I think you would of immeadiately streched the first line and operated as TSull and others described. We cant get caught up on the latest and greatest gimics that come along and lose site of basic Firefighting. This was a standard structural fire, that could of been handled with stardard tactics. Well vented, fire showing, no great shakes for an aggressive and well trained engine company. Save the toy for the tough ones, and get in there already. :D

if we had no fit-5 it would have been that a lie would have went through the back door and tried to stop the fire from spreading into the kitchen area b/c in these pic you cant see that the fire has pread through the entire 1st flooor these pics were of the fire before the first engine was on the scene .when you go through the D side where we entered the whole kitchen area was flame burned but there was no fire there when we stretched the line in .. the only fire was still in the back 3 rooms so the tactic would have been if we didnt have the fit-5 to try and stop the fire in the kitchen area and make an attack to the back bedrooms but the fire would have had much control of the 1st floor but im pretty sure with the team we had and the dedicated members at the scene we could have made the stop without the fit-5 but al i know is it made it easier for us to do it and a little bit safer and thats why i am in favor of this tool but even without it we could have made a stop but with a little more structural damage then now