Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scottyk107

911 Text message? Is it possible or will it be?

10 posts in this topic

I did a quick search to make sure I am not asking something that has been and nothing turned up. Can or will there ever be a time that you can "call" 911 for help through a text message? As a sat and watched the new this morning (in FL) they reported on a home invasion where 5 college students were locked in a bathroom while the robbers went through the house. They took their cell phones but one managed to keep theirs. They were threatened with guns so they stayed quiet. They did not not call police until an hour after the robbers left and they were sure they were gone since they were scared and threatened by death. What if they could have text 911 so that they would not be heard talking? I know they have systems set up for the hearing impaired and or blind but what happens if you "text" 911?

(ps I meant POSSIBLE not possbile? haha :rolleyes:)

Edited by Scottyk107

I am not sure of any system that is being worked on or is in place. I do think however that this would be something good to have. It would be keeping up with the times of communication. Originally, cell phone calls could not be tracked to an area. Now, most of the time, a position can be given to the caller using GPS. Using text messages would probably be very helpful in certain circumstances, such a the one described above. It could also be helpful for people that are deaf that have cell phones.

you know i was have been wondering the same thing recently...i think this is a perfect example of why a system should be set up to receive texts...and text back for that matter.

I do not know how well it works but Westchester County PD has a message system that is in play right now.

The County Department of Public Safety accepts non-emergency text messages, e-mails, photographs and short video clips from people with information or visual images of crimes or suspicious activity.

Pretty interesting..

http://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/ind...amp;Itemid=2081

For those instances where you cannot talk, simply dial 911 and hang up, then shut off the phone, that should work.

For those instances where you cannot talk, simply dial 911 and hang up, then shut off the phone, that should work.

i agree with you, and if i was in this situation today that is what i would do...but what if you could effectively communicate with a dispatcher, better you you as well as the officer responding. i hear officers being dispatched to 9-1-1 hang ups all day long. i am sure the situation would be approached much more strategically if they knew it wasn't just a regular 9-1-1 hang up.

This will not work, if your goal is to save a life or stop a crime.

At least in CT, most of the carriers only give the coordinates of the cell tower. In order to narrow down the search you have to manually update the data, and then it triangulates based on nearby towers and signal strength. It still only gives us a location that is accurate to about 300 feet and does not address altitude.

In the area I work in, this would probably get you to the intersection near the building. 3 out of 4 buildings on those corners are high rises. There is no way to tell from a 9-1-1 hang up, which building the caller is in or what floor they are on. Our best option is to do a manual search in our CAD system and see if that number has ever been used on a previous call, and hope for a nearby address.

Here are a few articles I was able to find on the topic.

http://www.govtech.com/em/365413

http://media.www.udreview.com/media/storag...g-3373611.shtml

http://govtsecurity.com/news/911-text-messaging-0710/

Five cities across the United States are testing a new national 911 system that would allow communications with police and other emergency personnel by text message and take advantage of the latest technology to pinpoint accident scenes.

This is a part of the "NextGen911" or next generation 911 system requirements being hashed out by the Department of Transportation. I have been trying to keep up and keep my boss appraised. Because, people will text 911 whether you are ready or not!!!! I am still waiting for the brass to approve our cell phone 911 procedure and institute the training required since about 18 mos. ago we began receiving the 911 transfers on the older e911 system. You know, the one without GPS ability! Now on calls sounding as if they are truly emergent, we back track by calling the provider's LEAC (law enforcement assistance center), attempting to get what we don't have...oh and no one is truly trained to do that...