Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Alabama Firefighter Suspended For Posting Photos

13 posts in this topic

should have a little more respect.... If the photos were of the scene when the body had been removed, i don't see any harm in it

Agreed. Under certain circumstances photos published of people, dead or alive, can be an invasion of their privacy, and as noted in this case, in very poor taste.

Its a rule for most of the buff sites that post pictures of fire and ems incidents that no one shall post pictures of people, faces, ETC because its a violation of their privacy and could be taken as a HIPPA violation as well if the patient is injured and suing the other party, they could sue the photographer as well for taking their pic without permission.

Hopefully the family of the deceased will not see these pictures and sue the dept.

Common Sense...could have prevented this.

As well as a lot of other problems in the world. He should have known better before but I guess he didn't.

I wonder what network it was anyways - FFN perhaps?

Edited by FiftyOnePride

Its a rule for most of the buff sites that post pictures of fire and ems incidents that no one shall post pictures of people, faces, ETC because its a violation of their privacy and could be taken as a HIPPA violation as well if the patient is injured and suing the other party, they could sue the photographer as well for taking their pic without permission.

Hopefully the family of the deceased will not see these pictures and sue the dept.

I'll call you on this statement. HIPPA is the most misunderstood law in America today. If the person taking the picture is a member of an agency that takes a picture of a patient and that agency submits a bill for medical services for that person, HIPPA might apply. If I come upon an accident and take pictures of people and I am in a public area and acting lawfully, then there is no assumption of privacy. HIPPA only covers an entity if they submit a bill electronically for medical services. If a news photographer or a buff is taking picture of an MVA that my EMS agency is working and the photographers are not working for my agency then HIPPA does not apply.

I'll call you on this statement. HIPPA is the most misunderstood law in America today. If the person taking the picture is a member of an agency that takes a picture of a patient and that agency submits a bill for medical services for that person, HIPPA might apply. If I come upon an accident and take pictures of people and I am in a public area and acting lawfully, then there is no assumption of privacy. HIPPA only covers an entity if they submit a bill electronically for medical services. If a news photographer or a buff is taking picture of an MVA that my EMS agency is working and the photographers are not working for my agency then HIPPA does not apply.

I was never really 100% clear with the definition of HIPPA laws and their enforcement, so thanks for the insight. Question for you; I was on the understanding that HIPPA laws were in place to protect the patients privacy and identity, and was enforced by both paid and volunteer EMS agencies? In order to prevent the patients private information from the PCR to get out to the public or be otherwise shared with others by the EMS crew. I was assuming that pictures taken by a firefighter or EMS crew member or Police officer was all part of this violation of privacy, especially since the pictures were not for official use, such as paperwork or training or legal reasons like proof or documentation of patient care or firefighting/rescue efforts.

Thanks.

I asked this once before but the thread died (probably because of this question). Do any agencies have an actual policy on the taking of photographs while on duty or at a scene? Are there any regulations regarding the dissemination of such photographs?

Given the digital age and the ease of carrying a digital camera (or phone) these days it is becoming a really valid issue.

FDNY explicitly forbids it, yet it happens all the time. A recent fatal motorcycle accident resulted in an investigation after some photos made the rounds, but at every unusual fatality everyone is digging out their cell phone or camera.

I take photos all the time, but I WILL never take any of victims, dead or alive that would be posted, if they are for the FID team or strickly for the FD use them yes, but not for public viewing.

I take photos all the time, but I WILL never take any of victims, dead or alive that would be posted, if they are for the FID team or strickly for the FD use them yes, but not for public viewing.

Herein lies one of the problems. They eventually get out, they always do. They get passed on and on, through official channels, and eventually, someone comes into possession and posts them.

As far as taking Pictures at scenes the fire dept personnel is suppose to ask permission of the IC and I know Mark does that all the time. I have also seen EMS taking pictures of cars at MVA to show the Doctor the impact of the crash .