Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

City Of White Plains Firefighter Exam Open

47 posts in this topic

This is always a hot topic for us at the YFD. No one has ever been able to tells us exactly how it is graded. I wonder if anyone questioned state civil service and recieved any answeres.

This is always a hot topic for us at the YFD.  No one has ever been able to tells us exactly how it is graded.  I wonder if anyone questioned state civil service and recieved any answeres.

Well..for the White Plains test in particular... the writen test is pass/fail, so that leaves the few timed tests on the agility as the only way to rank people. During the agility test, I asked one of the head instructors how exactly the scores are graded. Whether they just timed you and added up ur total time....or whether they rank you per event and average your rank...or whether each event is weighted to a certain calculation, etc. I was told .."Don't worry about how we get your score, just do the event as fast as you can".

Wonderful!!!! :angry:

Just passing through. I am on the YFD and my numbers were as follows when I took the exam several years ago. All testing the same execpt for the ladder treverse.(removed because it was too dangerous:)

hose drag 18.49

Hose pull up tower 15.88

stairs 39.67

pulley lift 10.51

Hope this helps.

Just passing through.  I am on the YFD and my numbers were as follows when I took the exam several years ago.  All testing the same execpt for the ladder treverse.(removed because it was too dangerous:)

hose drag 18.49

Hose pull up tower 15.88

stairs  39.67

pulley lift 10.51

Hope this helps.

Nice job on the stairs... I wish I had another chance on the stairs myself. I know I could have done better with a little more practice. Being that this was my first test, atleast i know what to expect the next time around.

yea dont worry about how we get your scores cuz we dont know what were doing anyway.and we threw your test out

Well....so much for getting anything before the end of the year (unless ofcourse its sitting in my mailbox today). Did anyone hear anything new?? :)

i wouldnt get too worried about the whole situation its been almost 16 weeks!, I guess we'll see

I heard the list will possibly be sent out either this week or next week for White Plains. It has been a long time and hopefully the city is correct with this time frame.

:angry:

I just saw this and I wanted to point out that there is no written test score for the WPFD test.  It was a pass/fail test.  Ranking is based only on the following timed events...  Hose pull, donut lift, hose carry, overhead pulley, and ladder traverse.

Does anyone know why exactly WPFD would make the written test pass /fail?  I would think that your knowledge and mental performance are more important or at least equal to that of your physical performance?!?!?!

It should be obvious to you. Like MT.Vernon, the City of White Plains has made the written test pass/fail because they have bowed down to the Vulcan Decree and want the number of minorities on the job to increase. Both of these cities are playing the numbers game. They don't want quality they want quantity! Unfortunately, not only does the Department as a whole suffer but also the community at large.

I CAN ALSO CONFIRM

WHITE PLAINS FIRE DEPT. will not release the list of candidates who took the physical agility test in September 2005 until June 2006.

Unfortunately the city decided to keep the last list and hold it over until June.

However, as they say, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

AND A PAIN IN THE A--

For other firefighters of WPFD, GOOD LUCK ON THE UPCOMING LIEUTENNANT EXAM!

Edited by z28skunk

Letters are in the mailbox today fellas!!!

Good luck to everybody!

:D

I got my rank today, anybody else get theirs?

Got mine...

So do you know a ballpark number of how far up the list they usually get to in a 2 year span?

i'd say if you are in the top 25 you are eligible to be first choice.

if you are in the top 50-25, you have a good chance of being called back for the second choice.

sounds good...thanks for the info.

So now its back to the waiting game..good luck to everyone!

Now that the ranks are out...Can anyone tell me whats next along the process?? Do we just sit and wait for a call to come in for an interview, or are there things that come before that (more paperwork, drug tests, psych test, medical exam, etc)?

Is there anything in particular that I can do to prepare for whats next?

Now that the ranks are out...Can anyone tell me whats next along the process??  Do we just sit and wait for a call to come in for an interview, or are there things that come before that (more paperwork, drug tests, psych test, medical exam, etc)?

Is there anything in particular that I can do to prepare for whats next?

Go take a EMT or CFR class(If you are not one) and be a good boy!!!!!!