Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

No 24/7 HazMat disposal centers in Westchester

8 posts in this topic

I recently found a few thermostats in my house which contain trace amounts of mercury. I wanted to dispose of them properly, so I contacted many different county agencies to find out where I can dispose of them. I was informed that there are no 24/7 hazardous materials drop off in the county. I know there are about three household chemical clean-up days throughout the year, but I am surprised that the county does not have a full time disposal center. Are people supposed to wait months before the clean-up days arrive? I’m certain most people would not wait and just dispose of chemicals in trash bags. Does anyone know if the county is working on a 24/7 hazmat disposal center?

I recently found a few thermostats in my house which contain trace amounts of mercury. I wanted to dispose of them properly, so I contacted many different county agencies to find out where I can dispose of them. I was informed that there are no 24/7 hazardous materials drop off in the county. I know there are about three household chemical clean-up days throughout the year, but I am surprised that the county does not have a full time disposal center. Are people supposed to wait months before the clean-up days arrive? I’m certain most people would not wait and just dispose of chemicals in trash bags. Does anyone know if the county is working on a 24/7 hazmat disposal center?

Are you kidding? While it would be great if there was more availablity, but how much more county tax do you want?

Here at the county 24/7 hazmat disposal center, we are standing by in our CPC (chemical protective clothing) waiting for days for someone to bring us a thermostat.

Rockland's is open Mon-Fri 8am-1pm! Also select Sat & Sun dates as well.

Edited by LAD19DER NY

Valid point. I always found Westchester's "bi-annual" cleanup days to be a joke.

We have a municipal recycling center here where you can bring just about anything and everything to be recycled or properly disposed of anytime. Open 7 days a week, for free. There are even people there to help you.

Ours requires you stay in your vehicle....they do all the lifting, dumping etc. ALL FREE (taxes excluded)

Are you kidding? While it would be great if there was more availablity, but how much more county tax do you want?

Here at the county 24/7 hazmat disposal center, we are standing by in our CPC (chemical protective clothing) waiting for days for someone to bring us a thermostat.

LMAO that was good

Wait a second.... you mean I can't just throw my waste in the Hudson River and blame it on Indian Point?!

No, I am not kidding you. It seems like many other counties have hazmat centers much more available than Westchester County. These 3 hazmat days a year is a joke. If you want to start talking about taxes, I wouldn't even waste the time or money having these hazmat days. I would just sponsor a campaign to dump in the Hudson like many other people do.