Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

Fox News - "Crazy Ambulance Driver"

17 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone was watching the Fox 5 News at 10 tonight... but they had a ludicrous story about a "crazy ambulance driver" based out of Peekskill VAC.

I don't have any info on the story online, can't find it posted.

Pretty much it showed an ambulance "driving crazy" to a cardiac arrest "speeding through stop signs" and "blowing red lights" while following an engine that was directly in front of it... The video then shows the ambulance driver lighting up a cigarette in the driver seat.

Must be a slow news day...

I'm going to post cautiously about this topic because I know the person involved and I know where the video can be found. The first thing that I'm going to say is this...for all you dummies out there that like to video stuff and put in out there in web land...many of us keep telling you...watch what you post and do things as if someone is watching you because chances are its multiple.

Secondly..with that..the person in the video knows I hold no punches if I disagree or have a problem with something...

So I have to ask you Mike about that video....what is so "ludicrous" about it? There are a couple of things on that video that shouldn't have happened and I would not condone if I saw that and was management there. The only part I diagreed with...was some of the stop signs...as I know those intersections....I know he wasn't traveling at a speed where the vehicle could not have been brought under control...especially with the engine right in front of it. It still doesn't excuse a few other occurances in the video. Including the behavior/demeanor of the passenger.

As far as the smoking...who gives a crap. If anyone else in the bus didn't say anything..then so be it.

Hell I light up a smoke on the way to a call every once in a while...especially on some of the longer trips I sometimes have.

Well well well. Right after viewing the video a couple of times....the user removed the video from the site they had it posted.

Nice job...as the video obviously showed you were upset about something that happened to you....

Why post it if you were just going to take it down....if you have something to say...say it...and come strong.

Here we go. I check emtbravo every night before I hit the hay and I find this topic. First off let me say I wasnt going to get invovled in this discussion because of the sensitivity of this matter but the air needs to be cleared, if it is indeed true, before any speculation. Second this video is outrageous. Not the stuff that happend (according to what you guys are saying happend), but for the moron who posted it to the beasts. Posting stuff like that only gives police, fire and ems black eyes. Third where is the video located? Fourth, like als said, becareful of what you post on the internet, once you post something...its probably there for ever. People are stupid enough to post themselfs committing crimes and wonder how they get caught. Fifth, why would the news be concerned about this? I guess it was a slow day in the office, I dont think its for public eyes.

After seeing the video below: I didnt want to create another post, so I will edit this one.

1st. Why is the news reporter smiling, this is not funny. Do they get off on busting chops?

2nd. It looks like its being sped up and shaken.

3rd. The media are beasts they will chop, cut, paste and change stuff around to make it look worst than it is.

4th. The video is too distorted to see anybody and anything clearly.

5th. The bureau of ems does not enforce that specific policy. They use such language as "should" and "its recommended" But OSHA uses such language as "OSHA regulations..."

6th. If he was or was not speeding.....OH WELL, AND WHO CARES.......I bet people wouldnt complaint if it was them or a family member in cardiac arrest or in need of EMS.

And quite honestly, I do feel sorry for the person being interviewed, the Ambulance Corps and the ambulance crew. No matter what! I cant believe she would put somebody on the spot like that! Should of lit up and blew a big puff in her face, strapped her to a back board, not lock the stretcher in place and do 100mph down route 9.

All this caused was a black eye and inspired ambulance chasers/amature video persons possibly.

There now should be a dept policy saying no recording while in the ambulance, before any more accusations.

Thats a pretty moronic statement. This is the of virulence that keeps EMS in the arm pit of emergency services. The media could be your worst nightmare or your best friend. The media, in the case of EMS, needs to be used as an education tool for the public. Right now (this incident aside) there isn't a whole lot that is peachy keen in EMS in Westchester.

I don't feel sorry for the ambulance crew at all - they were acting like a bunch of yahoos and they got caught. Debate the smoking thing and the stop sign thing all you want - but he was wrong. My biggest issue is that i now have to work extra hard to expunge this crap from my patient's mind the next time i go on shift. Thats why this pisses me off, and it pisses me off even more if he's "been doing it for 26 years." A veteran of 26 years should damn well know better.

I could go on, but at this point i think ill hop into my asbestos jumpsuit and bite my tongue as i am sure the flame-throwers are going to be taken out for this one.

He may have been doing it for 26 years but it's only a miracle he hasn't gotten someone killed. Everyone is focusing in on the smoking, and while it's unprofessional and against most agency policies, that's more unprofessional than dangerous. He wasn't just rolling through stop signs and red lights, he was barely decelerating. Then he says that the engine "cleared the intersection". Now I know that most of the people on this board have taken an EVOC or CEVO class... the second vehicle in an emergency vehicle chain is actually the most likely not to be seen. People stop for the big truck with the loud Q-siren and then go on their business again, right into the side of the ambulance.

Funny how the press blows over the big issue and is more worried about someone smoking in the bus.

It was stupid, plain and simple. Perhaps it was a slow news day but as public service agencies, we are all held to higher public scrutiny and this story simply reinforces that fact.

After seeing the video below: I didnt want to create another post, so I will edit this one.

1st. Why is the news reporter smiling, this is not funny. Do they get off on busting chops?

2nd. It looks like its being sped up and shaken.

3rd. The media are beasts they will chop, cut, paste and change stuff around to make it look worst than it is.

4th. The video is too distorted to see anybody and anything clearly.

5th. The bureau of ems does not enforce that specific policy. They use such language as "should" and "its recommended" But OSHA uses such language as "OSHA regulations..."

6th. If he was or was not speeding.....OH WELL, AND WHO CARES.......I bet people wouldnt complaint if it was them or a family member in cardiac arrest or in need of EMS.

1 - You're kidding right? You've never seen a news person flash their pearly whites during or after a news story? Do they not dress in $1000 suits, etc.? It's because they're in the PUBLIC EYE and they KNOW IT and behave accordingly!

2. Who knows? I'm not George Lucas or Steven Spielberg. Who cares - it looks bad regardless.

3. Wow, that's pretty harsh. Doesn't look to me like they had to do much to that video to make us look bad.

4. See # 2.

5. Comments like that will likely get you a visit from the Bureau for a complementary inspection. That's like telling the cop that just stopped you for gabbing on a cell phone that it was OK because that law isn't enforced. You're gonna get a ticket.

6. Who cares? We all should care! If an ambulance gets into an accident responding to a job, then we've just made matters worse. There have been debates on this site over the use of lights and siren over and over and it has been pointed out that "racing" to calls saves only a negligible amount of time - seconds in most cases (if at all).

And quite honestly, I do feel sorry for the person being interviewed, the Ambulance Corps and the ambulance crew. No matter what! I cant believe she would put somebody on the spot like that! Should of lit up and blew a big puff in her face, strapped her to a back board, not lock the stretcher in place and do 100mph down route 9.

All this caused was a black eye and inspired ambulance chasers/amature video persons possibly.

I feel sorry for the other members of that agency and everyone else in EMS who is made to look foolish by incidents such as this. She was interviewing him, in their ambulance building (which last time I was there had electronic door locks so it is highly unlikely that it wasn't arranged), so it was hardly "put on the spot".

Lighting up and driving like an idiot (with or without a patient on a backboard) is a great way to defuse the situation! That's thinking like a professional!

You're right, this did give EMS a black eye but the "ambulance chaser/video person" was in the ambulance so I think you're missing the point again.

It's preached time and time again - always assume someone is watching you and behave accordingly. If you don't want to be the subject of a story like this, don't do stupid things. I'm not calling the person in the video stupid but I do think it was a stupid thing to do. He knows me, I know him, and I'm sure he won't be surprised by my comment.

This is typical FOX NEWS that people love so much. Scare tatics, fiddling with video clips to make them appear more dramatic, etc. It's cheap, tabloid style television reporting.

However, we all must remember with cell phone cameras so prevalent, we're always going to be put on the spot forerver on, no matter what.

I find smoking in an emergency vehicle, especially with a Type III ambulance, is not fair to the patient. A lot of patients are sensitive to tobacco odor, and it can irritate some with already sensitive lungs. And it's not professional to have someone, presumably in a marked emergency vehicle in some type of uniform, smoking. I'm not judging people who do, but it's proven to be a deadly habit. That's why many health care organizations, fire departments, EMS agencies, etc, have banned tobacco use completly from their campuses altogether. If you're caught smoking at an EMS agency down here in any situation in anyplace, that's it, you're done.

I think, however, that the subject handled the reporter extremly professionally and hoonestly.

And, let's all remember, WNYW-Channel 5 FOX NEWS aired this clip to thousands of people- and we're just discussing it here. I'm sure it's going to get picked up on other forums and outlets, such as conversations, as well.

Lighten up.........can you tell whats a joke? Whats serious and whats not?

In the context of your original post, at least a few of us couldn't distinguish between where your serious comments ended and jokes began.

So i guess it's Fox's fault? Come on...lets not pass the buck.

Like i said, this is all of our problem now.

Edited by Goose

This is typical FOX NEWS that people love so much. Scare tatics, fiddling with video clips to make them appear more dramatic, etc. It's cheap, tabloid style television reporting.

However, we all must remember with cell phone cameras so prevalent, we're always going to be put on the spot forerver on, no matter what.

I find smoking in an emergency vehicle, especially with a Type III ambulance, is not fair to the patient. A lot of patients are sensitive to tobacco odor, and it can irritate some with already sensitive lungs. And it's not professional to have someone, presumably in a marked emergency vehicle in some type of uniform, smoking. I'm not judging people who do, but it's proven to be a deadly habit. That's why many health care organizations, fire departments, EMS agencies, etc, have banned tobacco use completly from their campuses altogether. If you're caught smoking at an EMS agency down here in any situation in anyplace, that's it, you're done.

I think, however, that the subject handled the reporter extremly professionally and honestly.

And, let's all remember, WNYW-Channel 5 FOX NEWS aired this clip to thousands of people- and we're just discussing it here. I'm sure it's going to get picked up on other forums and outlets, such as conversations, as well.

I have to agree here with x635 in regards to the Fox News channel. That's how the whole network is run, Republican news channel, I mean, Fox News channel always used these tactics to skew situations unfairly. They realize they're falling behind in the ratings, I believe WNBC-TV was ahead again, and especially with the launch of their re-branding NBC New York Locals Only, and their new sub channel New York Non Stop. Fox is just falling behind.

In regards to them going to confront the ambulance driver, that was totally unfair. The reporter had her own agenda and that was to defame his character, after something like that, i don't know if i'd want to continue doing that. I realize he shouldn't of been smoking in the ambulance, but the whole situation could have been handled with alot more respect for the ambulance crew.

I have to agree here with x635 in regards to the Fox News channel. That's how the whole network is run, Republican news channel, I mean, Fox News channel always used these tactics to skew situations unfairly. They realize they're falling behind in the ratings, I believe WNBC-TV was ahead again, and especially with the launch of their re-branding NBC New York Locals Only, and their new sub channel New York Non Stop. Fox is just falling behind.

In regards to them going to confront the ambulance driver, that was totally unfair. The reporter had her own agenda and that was to defame his character, after something like that, i don't know if i'd want to continue doing that. I realize he shouldn't of been smoking in the ambulance, but the whole situation could have been handled with alot more respect for the ambulance crew.

Respect? You're kidding, right? What about all of us who do the right thing day in and day out? Who don't smoke in the truck, who don't go balls to the wall and put others in unnecessary danger or those of us have enough professionalism to not video tape responses? Where was the ambulance's crew respect for us?

Who gives a crap about Fox news? It has nothing to do with them. Lets discuss the REAL issue here for crying out loud!

I cant believe some of the responses here...

it is illegal to smoke in the bus,and in the ambulance corp building and that is the bottom line. this is according to the D.O.H and the smoke free work place laws, and while in the corp it is illegal to smoke in a municipal building even if the building is leased or controlled by a volunteer agency.what this guy did was wrong he owned up to it , lets learn from it and prevent it from becoming a news worthy story again.

this was a news worthy story this is a problem in some agency's and maybe this will help them to follow the NO SMOKING laws.

I kind of think this is getting out of hand.. yes i'm sure it was a slow news day... watching the video, you can't see all the road and traffic conditions like the drive could so if he felt he was driving safe then so be it. The interview was most assuredly set up before hand and wasn't "on the spot." The driver was professional in his responses and in my opinion shut down any potential criticism of the video. He admitted to smoking and said he wouldn't do it again... so be it. I really don't see this video as being a problem for anyone.. the only person that should have a problem is the person that took the video who i'm sure was a kid who still gets a rush out of a lights and siren response...

Who gives a crap about Fox news? It has nothing to do with them. Lets discuss the REAL issue here for crying out loud!

I cant believe some of the responses here...

Obviously, you do.

This may come as a shocker to you, but people have opinions that differ from yours. That doesn't make them wrong, right, smarter, dumber, etc. Everything is not as black and white as it seems, especially in EMS, and whomever admits they are perfect and haven't ever done anything wrong is a liar.

PEOPLE, make mistakes. We, as an EMS community, aren't perfect. Anyone who's been in this business for any length of time knows the shennanigans that go on, and those of us who have been around can name incidents just as ridiculous as this one.

This guy went on the news, didn't try to make excuses or cover anything up, and fessed up to what he did. For that I have respect. For the actions that he particpated in, I don't. And, I hope that this provokes changes and there is at least some sort of disciplinary action to mark this action unacepptable.

The media has a choice in the way they handle stories. FOX NEWS NY has resorted to this cheap, tabloid style journalism over the past 10 years that has no respect for anyone or anything except ratings. I used to watch Fox News WNYW NY in the 80's and early 90's, when they actually had a great news program. John Roland, Jim Ryan, Dick Oliver, and many other longstanding and respected NYC journalists. Watching how they've changed makes me cringe.

I am not advocating perfection. What I am saying is this was not about trying to the right thing or wrong thing this was a conscious choice to drive like a moron and light up in an ambulance.

Smoking in the bus, tailgating the fire truck, blowing thru stop signs & red lights. Not a sign of aseasoned professional. Lets say the fire truck stopped abruptly.....the ambulance would have been now a part of the hose bed. Setting aside weather you like or dislike Fox News, the smoking driver gave them a reason to hurt EMS as a profession. Another black eye and another setback for the EMS profession.

Edited by NYMedic37