Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tallest In Westchester?

12 posts in this topic

Just curious, what is the tallest building (and/or structure) in Westchester? And what sits at the highest elevation in the county?

I think the WestchesterOne Building in WP, or the new CityCenter tower, also in WP. Don't know the exact height of these.

As for structure, the WFAS radio tower in Hartsdale or the Grasslands radio tower.

Anybody know?

While I'm not sure about the tallest building or structure, the highest elevation in Westchester County lies within the Town of Somers. "Round Top" within the Heritage Hills of Westchester condo complex. While it is privately owned, there are some communication antennas up there.

Just by looking at the new skyline...I would say that the new "City Center" in White Plains on Main St and Mamaroneck Ave is the tallest building in lower West...you can see its unique outline from most high points in the W.P. area.

Mike

Actually, Truck, I would have to disagree. It is my understanding that the highest geographical point in Westchester is Turkey Mountain in Yorktown. For anyone interested in a good hike, I highly recommend it. Access to the trails can be gained from a little dirt road just north of the Sanctuary Golf course on Route 118, just a short ride outside of the heights. The summit is accessable by trails of various difficulties, and offers excellent views of New york City (on a clear day), the Croton res, and the surrounding area. An awesome place to see the fall foliage.

lol,, I just google'd it, and this site said it was Bailey's Mountain in North Salem, at 950 feet.

http://tourism.westchestergov.com/maps_dem...mographics.html

And I just thought of the Avalon tower in New Rochelle, that's pretty tall too.

Thanks for that hiking tip WAS967, I'll have to be checking that out when the weather gets nicer.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. :cry: I'm trying to find the elevation there.

Either way, you're right about the hiking trails there. Although, I try not to think about that place too much. We used to get called M/A for brush fires up there fairly regularly. Not a fun place to carry an Indian Tank up.

Oh come on now With all the obesity running rampant in the fire and EMS services, the hike would do you some good.

I thought the one development in New Rochelle was the tallest, 30 something stories..........

289 nepperhan, 220 yonkers ave, and 1 glenwood are all tall. i would not want to carry anyone down.

Highest point is in Mt lakes camp, North Salem. That is were 60 control also has a tower. The army corps of engineers used it for years. Supposedly in the winter you were able to see the long island sound.

Just checked the topographical maps on Topozone. Turkey Mountain is about 800 feet. Round Top is about 740 feet. Bailey Mountain in Mountain Lakes Camp definatly takes the cake at 980+ feet. Nobody better get hurt up there on a Thursday. I'd be dead before I got halfway up. :->