Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Larchmont Cancels ALF Engine On Order?

10 posts in this topic

According to a friend that works for ALF, he states that Larchmont has cancelled the engine they had on order from American Lafrance.

Does anyone have details on this, and if they will be placing an order with another manufacturer? I know, a few years ago, they were having serious issues with their engine fleet. What are they currently running for engines?

What are they currently running for engines?

No secret:

http://www.larchmontfire.org/apparatus.html

91 Pierce and 93 Seagrave.

"A new engine is due in the spring to replace an older engine that has already been taken out of service"

Edited by abaduck

"A new engine is due in the spring to replace an older engine that has already been taken out of service"

That was the ALF that was due, which was already a year late. I wanted to know if another manufacturer will be building them an engine, or will they be purchasing from a stock or demo program?

ALF has had all sorts of financial problems (they're a component of Chrysler by way of Daimler-Benz). IIRC, they filed for Chapter 11 reorganization last year (?). It wouldn't surprise me if they're wa-a-ay behind filling orders. An insider friend of mine in Philly told me that's why PFD went with KMEs.

OK, from what I'm told- and anyone on here can feel free to correct me- is that the order was cancelled and Larchmont has no plans to go with another manufacturer anytime soon.

As far as I know Larchmont still has the order and is planning to have the new engine in April or May somewhere in that time slot

ALF has had all sorts of financial problems (they're a component of Chrysler by way of Daimler-Benz). IIRC, they filed for Chapter 11 reorganization last year (?). It wouldn't surprise me if they're wa-a-ay behind filling orders. An insider friend of mine in Philly told me that's why PFD went with KMEs.

By my understanding with the sale of ALF before the whole financial crisis is that they were no longer part of the Daimler-Benz / Freightliner enterprise affiliation. They were sold to Patriarch Partnership (or something like that). It was because of this sale that all of the information / records held by Fireghtliner were all messed up and withheld after the sale. I don't remember the whole story with it but it was after the sale by D-B that ALF started to go into the red and went for Chapter 11 re-organization (again for the 3rd time in its history) because of this.

However my information may be wrong.

Back on topic:

Hopefully Larchmont will get the rig they need to replace soon and have good luck with what ever they end up with.

By my understanding with the sale of ALF before the whole financial crisis is that they were no longer part of the Daimler-Benz / Freightliner enterprise affiliation. They were sold to Patriarch Partnership (or something like that). It was because of this sale that all of the information / records held by Fireghtliner were all messed up and withheld after the sale. I don't remember the whole story with it but it was after the sale by D-B that ALF started to go into the red and went for Chapter 11 re-organization (again for the 3rd time in its history) because of this.

However my information may be wrong.

Back on topic:

Hopefully Larchmont will get the rig they need to replace soon and have good luck with what ever they end up with.

Hit it about on the head Lazzyeng4 ;)

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Izzy,

You are correct about Patriarch Partners being the owner. They are a Private Equity firm that specializes in buying distressed companies and turning them around. They did blame the computer system that managed their manufacturing for the mess they got into when they tried to unwind their relationship with Daimler. They also had to move production from the Freightliner Plan in SC into a new plant. Here is an article from last year that talked about it.

http://www.firerescue1.com/apparatus/articles/348681