Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest BJM123

Safety On Apparatus

8 posts in this topic

YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS WATCHING NEWS 12 REPORT ON THE GAS LEAK IN VALHALLA. I SAW A FIRE TRUCK BACKING UP IN THE BACKGROUND, THERE WAS A FIREFIGHTER SITTING ON THE FRONT BUMPER. I FEEL IF IT'S NOT GOOD TO RIDE ON THE BACK STEP, IT

CAN'T BE GOOD TO RIDE ON THE FRONT EITHER. TO MANY FIREFIGHTERS IN THIS COUNTRY GET HURT OR KILLED ON AND AROUND APPARATUS EVERY YEAR. OUR JOB IS DANGEROUS ENOUGH

WITHOUT ADDING TO IT FOR NO REASON. I'M NOT TRYING TO KNOCK ANYBODY BUT HOPEFULLY MAYBE EDUCATE SOME PEOPLE THAT THIS WAS A DANGEROUS THING TO DO. SO MAYBE THE NEXT

GUY WON'T DO IT. STAY SAFE!

why was this person on the front? where they even aware that the truck was going to move and they just stayed there to be lazy? there should be no reason to be on the front or back while the truck is in motion

why was this person on the front?  where they even aware that the truck was going to move and they just stayed there to be lazy?  there should be no reason to be on the front or back while the truck is in motion

Equally as important is why did the driver move the vehicle with the person on the front? It is equal fault of both parties!

Westchester has had it's share of fire apparatus slipping out of gear and injuring firefighters. One of note is the LODD in the late '80s from unexpected apparatus movement. Granted, the firefighter was not on the apparatus, but it was still caused by apparatus movement.

Firefigher safety is the reason tailboarding is a thing of the past. It is also the reason that since 1990, NFPA requires totally enclosed cabs.

Lets prevent situations like this from happening, not encourage them!

NFPA 1500 states "Drivers shall not move fire department vehicles until all persons on the vehicle are seated and secured with seat belts in approved riding positions".

Careless actions lead to injuries and or Death.. Where was the supervision? [-X SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY Got away with it this time, may not be so lucky next time.

all i have to say is that we have to set an example and were lucky that wasn't noticed and made into a big deal