Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD Dodge Chargers?

15 posts in this topic

I know a while back, NYPD was experimenting with Dodge Chargers. Some were assigned to the Highway Patrol (the Hemi's), and some were assigned to regular patrol for evaluation.

Has NYPD ordered any more Dodge Chargers since?

No that program has been discontinued as far as we all have been advised. The ones in the fleet are being put into service and no further ones are going to be ordered.

I am not so worried about it being a japanese make as it is being a "hybrid". It seems like another part of the liberal agenda to emasculate the police specifically the NYPD. Dont get me wrong I am somewhat a supporter of the green movement and I think civilians should purchase alternative fuel vehicles if it suits there needs, but I feel law enforcement should be outfitted in more intimidating big block vehicles like crown vics, chargers and SUV's. They are the NYPD not the hug police...a 4 cylinder hybrid rolling up just doesnt have the same deterrent effect on the mopes hanging out on the corner as an 8 cylinder Charger. The 4'8" female and the guy with dreadlocks who can barely speak English getting out of the RMP are also part of the problem, but thats a discussion for another day.

I've wondered about the NYPD and fast cars? Is there a need to exceed the 113 top speed of the hybrid? I really am asking and have no agenda. Do NYPD officers have many high speed chases? I suppose the 0-60 MPH take off would be important, but high end top speed? My view of NYC makes me think rural America see more "high speed" chases than NYPD. The part on spending $25k+ on a cruiser because it's Green is disgusting as they continue to make personnel cuts or withhold new recruit classes.

well you have to assume that the 25k spent in the long run will pay off when they save on gas, but who knows

I've wondered about the NYPD and fast cars? Is there a need to exceed the 113 top speed of the hybrid? I really am asking and have no agenda. Do NYPD officers have many high speed chases? I suppose the 0-60 MPH take off would be important, but high end top speed? My view of NYC makes me think rural America see more "high speed" chases than NYPD. The part on spending $25k+ on a cruiser because it's Green is disgusting as they continue to make personnel cuts or withhold new recruit classes.

Vehicle pursuits are not permitted and often called off before they get within the first few seconds. Following vehicles however is permitted ;) Routine patrol speed is 10-20 mph.

On a side note the NYPD chargers were nice to look at but the blind spots with the cages were very bad and the relocation of the gear shifter to the dashboard from the center floor to make room for the MDT was a bad move. Having test drove one for a month those 2 were my major complaints.

with all the traffic in NYC no need for speed. Barely move on some streets. But I am against the nissans. keep it chevy, ford or chrysler corp. Tradition

Our PD has one Charger and they hate it. Basically as was noted the visibility poor and it's not a comfortable full shift ride. The town I live in has two and they seem to be happy, but they are not in the car nearly as much as the "city" cops.

I just wonder if the Green cars have any merit at that cost? Just to say "We're Green"? Meanwhile things that actually make the job better get cut from dwindling budgets. Someone needs a reality check.

The part on spending $25k+ on a cruiser because it's Green is disgusting as they continue to make personnel cuts or withhold new recruit classes.

The "green" cars are only a couple thousand more than the impalas. In theory the fuel savings will cover that cost increase

With all the idling and slow sppeds, not sure how much of savings we will see. Add increased maintenance costs when break them, and yes we will break them, I not sure what we will save. But at least we will look good to the tree hugging liberals.

I would love to see what it costs to repair one of these things after they bang 'em up. Its impressive what the NYPD shops can salvage and get back onto the street.

your suppose to help this country japan. chevy makes a hybrid a friggen malibu.

Except the difference is in the quality. Chevy may make a hybrid, but just like all things GM, it's probably a piece. Suffice it to say, Japanese cars are of better quality. That fact isn't new either; the big 3 knew it as far back as the 1980s, yet over the last 20-odd years, they did nothing to change it.