Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Yankee medic

Glidescope intubation camera anyone use one yet?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone ever use the Glidescope intubation camera? If so how do you/service like it? My service (Richland County EMS) are putting them on line this week. Just wanted some feed back. Thanks.

we use them in the er...very cool to watch....really helps out with difficult airways...most of the docs usually go straight for it rather than waiting for something to happen/not happen

we use them in the er...very cool to watch....really helps out with difficult airways...most of the docs usually go straight for it rather than waiting for something to happen/not happen

We just recently acquired one in our ER. It has been a great tool. No mussing and fussing. We have gotten calls from some of the other floors who were doing difficult emergent intubations asking for our Glidescope, and of course, who usually gets stuck running it up?? :rolleyes:

My former agency/medical director demo'd it for the annual Texas State EMS Conference in Fort Worth last November. It was a big hit. There are a number of agencies down here using it. It is a great tool for difficult intubations, but I prefer my Miller blade for "everyday" use. For those in busy urban systems who have the oppurtunity to intubate often, I think can agree that we can intubate faster then if we used this device, even though it sets up just as fast. Intubation is a "muscle memory" skill for me, and we were drilled on it in Paramedic school and the Advanced Airway course. I guess if I had it and I knew it was going to be a difficult intubation, then I'd probaly reach for this device first. But I don't want it to become something that I would "depend" on.

The best tool for intubation is still FREQUENT practice on modern intubation manequins. There are so many intubation gadgets out there nowadays, and I think that's starting to diminish the core importance of actually being able to intubate anywhere, anytime, with just a blade and a tube (or, for those who've taken PHTLS, your fingers).

Got to play with it in a Difficult Airway class that I had taken. I loved it. It is ashame they cost $10000. a pop for the no thrills unit. Seen it used at HVHER & Arden Hill.

Brought a code to a local hospital recently. The MD spent half the time the code was being worked dicking around with their glidescope and portable ultrasound machine (both of which he obviously wasn't adept in using) than treating the patient. The tool is only as good as the person who uses it. Moral: Don't let the toys cloud the bigger picture.