Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

City Of Austin, TX New Engine 45 (And New Brush Truck)

14 posts in this topic

The City Of Austin, TX FD has just taken delivery of this 2009 Pierce Contender.

Austin FD, for many years, has been using the Quantum chasis. Like many municipalties across the country, the City is tightening it's belt. It's unclear right now why they went with the Contender, but given the price difference between a Quantum and Contener, I think that may be one of the reasons. Also, the Contender is a great brand....it is a great value, well built, and comes with all of the features you need.

The Contender line, manufacturered in Pierce's Bradenton, Florida plant, is thriving here in Central and South Texas, as well as in many other parts of the Country. "Program trucks" are starting to become really popular, especially with departments with a limited budget. Also, the program truck can be built and delivered a lot faster then a traditional custom engine. Although there's a number of ways to customize a Contender, some standard features standardize engineeering and manufacturing processes and therefore lower costs. I have a feeling that many of you attending FDIC will see manufacturers promoting the "program truck" line, especially with this economy, as I said, it's a great value.

Anyway, here it is.

Austin, TX Fire Department

NEW Engine 45

2009 Pierce Contender

post-11-1239815026.jpg

Nice Truck! I always liked the Pierce trucks.

Austin FD is also taking delivery of this 2009 Dodge Ram 5500 4x4/Siddons "Skeeter" brush truck. Amongst other feaures, it is CAFS equipped, has "pump and roll" capabilties, and has a remote control (from the cab) front turret.

post-11-1239815393.jpg

As the drought conditions worsen here in Texas, and urban interface wildfires get more frequent, the brush truck category is growing like crazy. There are a lot of local brush truck fabricators here in Texas, and some of the departments even build their own. These brush trucks are referred to as "Texas style", most noteable for their secure riding positions for supression purposes on a deck between the body and the cab.

This truck was built by Siddons Fire Apparatus, the local Pierce Dealer which recently aqquired a brush truck company in San Antonio. They are building a new facility in San Antonio to manufacture these trucks, as well as a San Antonio Pierce service center. They also have locations outside Austin, TX, and a police car and ambulance facility in Houston. (They are the distributor for Lifeline here in Texas- however Wheeled Coach and Frazer dominate the ambulance market)

Some further info:

This contract is for the purchase two new brush and one new pumper fire trucks manufactured by Siddons Manufacturing that will be assigned to the Austin Fire Department. The pumper truck is equipped with a standard foam system, 750 gallon water tank, 1500 gallon per minute fire pump, and assorted firefighting tools, hose and equipment. The pumper truck includes a 4-door custom-built crew cab with a fire pumper body capable of carrying a maximum of six firefighters. The pumper is capable of pumping water from either a fire hydrant or its own on-board water tank. The two brush trucks will be built according to National Wildfire Coordinating Group, Type V specifications and will meet current National Fire Protection Association standards. These trucks are equipped with a 4x4 crew cab chassis that is capable of seating at least four fire fighters inside the cab, a 400-gallon water tank with a standard foam pumping system, a 250 gallons per minute pump, tools, hose, and equipment specific to wildland firefighting. These trucks will be used in various capacities depending on the size and nature of the fire. One pumper and one brush truck will be assigned to the new Fire Station 45 serving the Avery area. One brush truck will be assigned to Fire Station 42 serving the Del Valle area. These are new vehicles to the City's fire fighting fleet and have an expected use of 15 years before replacement.

These fire trucks are equipped with engines capable of burning biodiesel (B20) fuel. B20 is a blend of 20% bio-material and 80% petro-diesel. In line with Austin Climate Protection Program goals, B20 provides an approximate reduction of 25% of greenhouse gas emissions versus using gasoline, and an approximate reduction of 5% of greenhouse gas emissions versus using petro-diesel. The onboard pump engines for the brush trucks also operate on B20.

Siddons Fire Apparatus, Inc is under contract with BuyBoard to supply various types of fire fighting vehicles statewide as a result of a competitive bidding process. Utilizing the BuyBoard contract provides for volume discount pricing as well as the earliest opportunity to get the City’s equipment on order.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/news/2009/council_032609.htm

That, is one of the most awesome Brush Trucks I've seen. Reminds me of the former Power Wagons! I especially like the bumper mounted monitor. I'm glad to see that you're still taking photos Seth and sharing them!

Nice shot of Engine 45 too. I like Austin's paint scheme. Simple, but distinctive.

Thanks for sharing.

-Joe DA BUFF

Both good looking rigs, best of luck with them.

Damn handsome units good luck with them!!!!!

One of the things I can never understand is how municipalities can justify chassis like the Quantum. They are huge and filled with bells and whistles that frequently break, and are in my opinion overpriced. It just seems irresponsible to me to purchase a truck that costs more than you need to spend. I guess its what I can justify. I can justify the custom chassis like the Contender, but not the Quantum. Why do you need it? I know the rigs I drive everyday get me to and from the calls, and I have the recliner in the station for my comfort. I am a thrifty taxpayer and seeing stuff like Quantums, extra lights and the like make me wonder if those spending my hard earned tax dollars are doing it in the right manner. Thoughts?

One of the things I can never understand is how municipalities can justify chassis like the Quantum.

Although I kinda agree with you, what I've heard from some Quantum users (which will include 10 new Quantum pumpers to Phoenix FD). Also, some of this is based on my personal experience with the chasis.

-Large, spacious cab

-Cab is well insulated from the Engine, therefore making the cab quieter and easier to cool

-HUGE cab, very spacious- easy to handle 4-6 firefighters, their gear, and EMS equipment (which is kept in the cab for climate reasons).

-Air-actuated steps make getting in and out much easier on the firefighters

-Handles awesome, great commanding view and huge windshield and side windows.

-Tons of space for driver and officer up front as well

However, Pierce has been bidding very, very high on the Quantums lately for some reason, therefore losing to other manufacturers, or to even themselves with the Contender line.

Here's one of Austin's Quantums:

post-11-1240001309.jpg

I know the Quantam has been around for a few years now, and I may offend some of you....

But they are funny looking! Dare I say, ugly?!

I know the Quantam has been around for a few years now, and I may offend some of you....

In a word.....yes

I didn't like it at first, but kinda grew on me....especially after they "refreshed" the Quantum a few years back....

Here's Austin's Rescue 14.

post-11-1240068679.jpg

nice looking rigs thanks for sharing