Followers 0
x635

NYC Patient Dies after Car Crash and then Ambulance Crash

11 posts in this topic

NY Patient Dies after Car Crash and then Ambulance Crash

Tim Perone

The New York Post

Thursday, April 16, 2009

A man died after his car flipped over in Harlem last night - and his ambulance got into an accident while rushing him to a hospital, officials said.

FULL STORY: http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top...ash/1$9354

Does anyone know if it was a FDNY ambulance or a private hospital ambulance? If so, what hospital ambulance service was it?

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?84509

According to firefighterclosecalls.com, it was a Hatzolah EMS, a volunteer ambulance squad run in some of the boroughs of New York City run by Orthodox Jews.

The story refers to a Brooklyn incident but I thought the original story occurred in Manhattan....Can someone please clear up the confusion? Thanks.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?84509

According to firefighterclosecalls.com, it was a Hatzolah EMS, a volunteer ambulance squad run in some of the boroughs of New York City run by Orthodox Jews.

It appears the Hatzolah crash was a seperate incident

I guess they are two different incidents....sorry for the confusion.

I was a witness to that Hatzolah incedent. The motorcyclist had the green light, and in typical Hatzolah fashion they went threw the light without slowing down. From talking to the owner of the grocery store on the block, one of his security cameras caught the accident on tape and can corroborate mine and the stories of the other 10 or 15 witnesses on that corner that night. However I seriously doubt that any criminal or civil procedings will take place due to that agencie's status with the city. And the kick in the a** is that the patient that they were transporting had a sprained ankle. If it were up to me the driver of the vehicle would be charged with criminaly negligent manslaughter and the EMT/Paramedic in charge should have his certification revoked.

And the kick in the a** is that the patient that they were transporting had a sprained ankle. If it were up to me the driver of the vehicle would be charged with criminaly negligent manslaughter and the EMT/Paramedic in charge should have his certification revoked.

The driver should be charged regardless of city status. I hope the family has a good lawyer. They can press the issue with the DA and can hold them responsible as well if they don't act in kind.

The institutional of criminal charges against any individual is in the sole discretion of the District Attorney. The decision is a difficult one, not to be take lightly under any circumstances. Without further information, it is impossible to see if the driver meets every element of Penal Law 125.10 (Criminal Negligence). It is important to note that criminal negligence is a higher standard that ordinary common law/civil negligence. If the District Attorney believes sufficient evidence exists, he/she should convene a grand jury to investigate and possibly charge the individual(s) accordingly. The mere fact that charges may not be instituted, however, does not foreclose a family from instituting a civil action against the agency and crew, in the professional capacities and personally.

In my view, however, the better view to this situation is how best we can learn from the situation; and promote a safety conscious environment for Fire/EMS/PD.

I am unsure the legal basis for the DOH to suspend and/or revoke an EMT or Paramedics certifications in this matter, as the facts do not indicate the general impression of the patient and severity of injury.

Edited by crcocr1

the facts were that the pt they were transporting had a sprained ankle, and the person in charge of pt care (emt/paramedic) didnt tell the driver that he shouldnt be proceding to the hospital in non emergency mode due to their pt being in stable condition. And acording to NYS part 800 pt's that do not have an imediatly life threataning condition are to be transported to the hospital without the use of lights and sirens. Cruising through a light without even stoping to check for traffic and while only blipping your siren a couple of times is in my opinion grossly negligent on the driver's part, because he still has a responsibility to operate the vehicle with due regard for the safety of the public, and that clearly didnt happen in this case. And let me reiterate I was a witness to this incedent in its entirety.

It apppears that hotzolah can do whatever & wherever they want! They hide behind religious beliefs. Every week they run diamonds from k.j. village in Orange County down to Brooklyn in an ambulance, lights & siren, they go through EZ-pass & come back through EZ-pass..............they DON'T have EZ-pass!!!!!!

Last year I was going south on the NYS Thruway around Woodbury and one of their buses came up behind me lights and siren and blowing people out of the way....... Had to be doing 90 or more.....He did this for 5 miles or so and I then watched him in the distance pull into the rest area, turn off his lights....... I pulled in and saw the driver get out and go into McDonald's..... The driver was the only one in the ambulance...... I almost called 911 and said WTH is that about...... Total abuse IMO...... I does appear they can do whatever they want...... I think all their rigs should be fitted with GPS logging to ensure compliance and prevent abuse....

Edited by Photounit