Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

ALF Plant(s) to close next month

4 posts in this topic

An online buddy sent me a link to a news story in Pennsylvania that the American LaFrance (LTI) plant in Ephrata, PA will be closing at the end of May. Discussion of the subject on Firepics.net reveals that the Hamburg, NY (RD Murray) plant will do the same soon.

Is this the end of American LaFrance, in it's current incarnation, or are they simply consolidating everything back into the South Carolina facility?

We are having a hard time getting parts now( for engines and ladders) and they are still open. Good luck to all that own these pieces of junk

I don't understand this. It seems like this has happened to almost every fire apparatus manufacturer in history. ALF had a large market share in the fire apparatus industry, and they offered some great products.

It's my opinion that this is driven by the almighty dollar and stockholders. To be succesful in the fire apparatus market, you have to be building firetrucks because you want to, not because you want to make a profit. That's why the larger companies are pushing hard with the stock/program trucks......it lessens engineering and manufacturing costs. I think the future of the fire apparatus industry will produce less custom apparatus and more stock units, much like a car or truck dealer. And then, all the add ons can be installed at the dealer.

I hope LTI doesn't die with ALF, LTI is a great aerial product.