Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mofire24

Mahopac Apparatus from the past

17 posts in this topic

All photos are copyright of Gus Stretz and cannot be used without written consent

post-77-1240348981.jpg

post-77-1240348998.jpg

post-77-1240349010.jpg

post-77-1240349025.jpg

post-77-1240349051.jpg

post-77-1240349067.jpg

What year is the ladder truck at what is the manufactuer

the single axle oren isnt so much in the past that is still one of there main line trucks out of headquarters

the single axle oren isnt so much in the past that is still one of there main line trucks out of headquarters

damn, time for an upgrade

tommy you should watermark the pics

Edited by 99subi

That fourth picture looks a lot like this one - taken last month. Rebadged for Buckshollow?

mahopac-oren2.jpg

That fourth picture looks a lot like this one - taken last month. Rebadged for Buckshollow?

Rebadged or possibly private owned now? If you look it has historical plates on it. Either way, it is likely the same rig.

Edited by TRUCK6018

nice pics thanks for sharing always liked that ladder

I remember most of those rigs except for the old rescue. I remember the brush truck. It had a sprinkler cap on the back end.

As a kid growing that ladder truck was always my favorite in parades,wonder where it is now or what ever happened to it, can anybody from Mahopac elaborate on it?

a 1978 oshkosh LTI

Close Tommy, 1976 Oskosh/Hammerly/LTI

quote name='bronxfireradio' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:57 PM' post='180055'

Rebadged or possibly private owned now? If you look it has historical plates on it. Either way, it is likely the same rig.

The "rebadged" engine is the twin of the one Tommy posted.

Quick history. In 1977 Mahopac pruchased twin Oren Tanker-Pumpers from Carke Palmer of Gowan-Knight Fire Apparatus in Watertown CT. They held 1000 gallons (Which made them tankers) with 1500gpm pumps.

The first Oren was assigned to Headquaters Engine Co 1 as Tanker 18-4-3. In 1988 it was refurbished by GK with new stainless steel compartments and warning light upgrades. In 1991 it was assigned to the newly opened Station 2 on Buckshollow Rd. The Chief in 1992 decided both vehicles were better classified as Engines and renumbered it 18-2-2. It was returned to Headquarters in 1994 when Eng. 2 got their new GK Tanker-Pumper where it served until 2005. In 2005 it was retired from service and donated to a fire department in western NY. That department had to give it to a mechanic in return for work on that departments other engine. The mechanic put it up for sale on e-bay where it was eventualy bought by a Ex-Captain of Engine Co 2 who started to restore it to 1977 condition. He changed the lettering to Buckshollow on the front. He has since sold it to one of the Assistant Chiefs who has it at his shop on Route 6 (Seths photo)

the second Oren was assigned to Engine Co. 3 on Crane Rd as Tanker 18-4-4 but renumberd 18-4-1 in 1978 when our first tanker was sold. Tt also was refurbed by GK in either 1988 or 1989. In 1992 it was renumbered 18-2-3 by the Chief. Tt was replaced in 2005 by a KME as Engine Co 3's pumper. The engine was reassigned to Headquarters Engine Co. 1 and renumbered 18-2-1 where it is still in service as the second due/utility engine for HQ. If you pass our headquarters, it is in the 3rd bay from the right hand side of the bldg. It should be replaced in the next year or so. That will end an almost 50 year history of Oren apparatus in Mahopac.

Tommy. thanks for posting the pictures. I remember the "good old days" with turnout gear hanging from the side.

As a kid growing that ladder truck was always my favorite in parades,wonder where it is now or what ever happened to it, can anybody from Mahopac elaborate on it?

Proudly serving Kingsbury Fire Company in Washington County as Tower 383

post-17-1240373662.jpg

When we went to see it in 2006 it still had some of our stickers on it

post-17-1240373686.jpg

Last, a group shot

post-17-1240373789.jpg

Where are they now?

Rescue Truck (1965 GMC/Gertenslager). Sold to Catskill Hose Co 1 in 1985. They refurbished the box and then remounted it on a GMC Brigidair. It was replaced about 2 years ago. The chassis went to the highway Dept and the box was scrapped. (Ron Bogardus photos)

post-17-1240374111.jpgpost-17-1240374133.jpg

Ladder. See above post

Tanker (1972 Oren). Replaced in 1991. Sold to Hutchinson KS

Tanker/Pumper (1977 Oren) See above post

Pumper (1966 Oren) Retired in 2002. Donated to Putnam County Bureau of Emergency Services. It has since been sold to an estate owner in Pawling NY

Brush Truck (1970 Dodge-GK). Sold in the late 90's to a departmetn in upstate NY (Possibly Inlet NY)

Old ladder was great, i remember being a kid and watching my father smack his head on the bucket every time he walked from one bay to the next. Its how i learned most of the elaborate vocabulary i use today.

I surely spent a lot of time back in the day cleaning 51 for parades and inspections! That was a great rig. I just recently pulled out some old plaques that I was presented for cleaning that beast.

I can recall many trips to the Firemen’s Home stopping at the dinner some where in northern Dutchess County. Dino empty out the tank at Red Lights in a paper cup. LoL

Good Times! Great Pics.

EJS1810 Big Bob was asking why the ladder was not on your web page.