Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Connecticut Chiefs Scolded Over Drills

5 posts in this topic

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed on here...

I feel that the chiefs were wrong and they brought a HUGE liability on themselves if something were to go wrong. I feel that this drill was unacceptable because of all of the FF deaths that we have been having lately responding to and from emergencies. Not to mention the amount of apparatus crashes that have been publicized lately.

http://www.connpost.com/ci_12282317?IADID=...ww.connpost.com

NEIL VIGDOR

Connecticut Post Online (Bridgeport, Connecticut)

Both the fire chief and assistant fire chief have been reprimanded by First Selectman Peter Tesei for their role in planning recent drills in which fire trucks went out on mock calls with their lights and sirens activated to collect response-time information.

Chief Peter Siecienski and Assistant Chief Robert Kick received a verbal rebuke last week about public safety risks involved in sending fire trucks out on non-emergency calls, said Tesei, who serves as fire and police commissioner.

Firefighters were instructed to see how far they could get from all seven of the town's stations in four minutes, a nationally recognized standard for response times.

Most of the companies that did the survey conducted them with traffic, with out lights and siren. Others did them while enroute to calls. There may have been a few companies that followed the chiefs request. The paper is making it out to be a lot more than it was. Don't get me wrong responding with lights and siren to a call is dangerous enough. So to ask for a study to be done with them is a bad choice.

Most of the companies that did the survey conducted them with traffic, with out lights and siren. Others did them while enroute to calls. There may have been a few companies that followed the chiefs request. The paper is making it out to be a lot more than it was. Don't get me wrong responding with lights and siren to a call is dangerous enough. So to ask for a study to be done with them is a bad choice.

Agree