Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ambulance conversion to IC vehicle

9 posts in this topic

*Has anybody or department taken a Type III ambulance and converted to a Incident Command Vehicle ?

*If so what challenges were you faced with ?

*Did it affect your overall layout of the vehicle ?

*Any suggestions for this type of project ?

Please send any any photos to N5anyer@optonline.net

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple local departments that have converted their ambulances (Type III's) to another purpose.

I know Bedford PD converted an old KBHVAC bus into a Arson Investigation unit. Leonia, NJ converted an old Type III into a multi-purpose unit.

I know there are several that have been done, inside and outside of this area, I'm just having trouble remembering where. I'll keep thinking. Mount Vernon and New Ro maybe??

Eastchester PD converted an older EVAC ambulance to their "Emergency Response Unit" (ERU, a.k.a. E-1). It's apparently the swat team vehicle. Clearly it doesn't get used all that often (and that might even be an understatement). Most of the IC vehicles I have seen are those mini-buses. That's what Yonkers has, appears to work well.

I believe Peekskill PD still uses an old Peekskill Vac rig as their "ESU Truck"...

I'm not sure if is a Westchester County or City of Peekskill Office of Emergency Management has converted one of Peekskill Vac's ambulance to a IC vehicle. Peekskill PD has an old Yorktown Vac as an ESU truck.

Croton Police has one of our old Ambulances which they use for their Tactical Team, Dive Team, Accident Investigation Unit and a mobile Command Post.

Although some of my fellow FD / Forum pals think its an undercover mini-attack, but that's a different story...

I remember helping them convert it for their purposes in my back yard! We installed handlights, tools, generators, etc.

Tarrytown PD has two of TVAC's old rigs. One, a 1988 Horton, is a prisoner transport. The other, a 1994 Braun, is a (I believe) mobile command post. Stiloski's Towing repainted the rigs from white w/orange striping to white w/blue striping. On the latest rig, they also put some pretty hot looking graphics. TPD wanted to replace the old rig with the new one, but they said it was "too nice" to convert for prisoner transport. I have no idea whats inside of it though.

Ossining have a rig they converted from an ambulance as well. Not sure the complete uses for it tho

Peekskill PD turned the VAC's into some Emergency response vehicle as said above too. It said OEM on it so i guess its some kinda command vehicle

Thanks for all the great leads ! Glad there is a forum out there such as this. All things in emergency services should work this great unlike the bitchin we usually find ourselves doin LOL

Thanks a million