Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

45-Day Notice For Closure of Four Fire Companies

12 posts in this topic

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=6808405

The four companies reportedly received the mandatory 45-day notice, meaning the FDNY can close them as soon as June 22. The city council has to approve the closings.

Engine 161 on Staten Island

Engine 4 in Manhattan

Engine 271 in Brooklyn

Ladder 53 in the Bronx

Will the firefighters be laid off or transfered?

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Transferred, I hope this is not something that comes to fruition.

As much as I hate to say it, it's probably a done deal. Should make for an interesting summer on City Island.

city island will be fine because they will continue to relocate trucks there cover the loss. They'll keep on rolling the dice and probably win because of the dedication those responding.

What a joke. You just have to love Bloomberg.

Re: Engine 161 on Staten Island

Are the truckies going to run the brush fire unit too?

Who is first due on brush fires between Midland and South Beach? That includes, "the flats" behind SI Hospital.

exactly how much money are they saving exactly?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Just from the personnel perspective, they could save 21 positions per shift (4 per engine/5 per truck, right?) with these closures. Reassigning those 21 members could theoretically reduce overtime by 21 shots per shift.

Spitballing on the salaries - this is purely spitballing the numbers - it could be about $15,000 per day in savings. That's about 5.5 million for the year - or roughly half of what the mayor will spend on his re-election campaign. Hmmmm.....

exactly how much money are they saving exactly?

They are saving the cost of operating that vehicle. The dept is still over on its head count and will be for some time. Bloomy, for some reason has his sights fixed on the 5th man staffing of 60 engine co's. He has offered to accept the 5th man in exchange for company closings, but the 5th man doesn't save nearly as much as the 4 company closings. The 5th man would probably only save as much as 2 or 3 company closings depending on what is done with the closed houses.

There's going to be more companies getting shut down, just wait. And, if I were a SFAD in the Bronx, and the 7th Division calls me to put a Truck on City Island during the summer, I would tell them, no. You should have fought harder for 53. Not to mention the fact that more than likely an edict will come down saying that no Truck should be put on City Island regardless of day or time.

Edited by JBE

They are saving the cost of operating that vehicle. The dept is still over on its head count and will be for some time. Bloomy, for some reason has his sights fixed on the 5th man staffing of 60 engine co's. He has offered to accept the 5th man in exchange for company closings, but the 5th man doesn't save nearly as much as the 4 company closings. The 5th man would probably only save as much as 2 or 3 company closings depending on what is done with the closed houses.

It would be nice if a few more guys in white shirts had this kind of back-bone.