Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VAEMC

Whats in Your Back Yard?

16 posts in this topic

Listening to some calls on the scanner recently prompt me to ask the question. Whats in your back yard? I believe that it is imperative to know and understand the capbilities that exsist within your response area.

One resource that I came across is the Rockland County Resource Guide that they send out I believe annually. It has each department and what their capbilities are. Very Awesome and valuable book.

HAZMAT Capbilities

Mass Decon

Foam

Confined Space

FAST / RIT Teams

Dive Teams

Swift Water Resuce

Ice/Cold Water Rescue

Tech Rescue

Rescue (i.e. low pressure, high pressure, extrication, Special Torches)

Cascade

All terrain vehicles (EMS, Brush, Rescue)

etc... etc... etc...

Edited by VAEMC

Could you be listening to the Peekskill Haz Mat?????

VA....

What's the deal with you guys again? I thought you were part of the initial response in the northern part of the county to back up the county team? This is twice Haz Mat has been in Peekskill in 30 days and you guys weren't utilized.

Then again I guess you would have to know on some levels what's in your backyard. Then again there are those out there who do but don't use things because of personal opinion or mindset as we all know.

But I thought you had that issue worked out in the CAD with Westchester DES.

Noticed that too.....

Welcher Ave/Lower South Street, Peekskill to 2094 Albany Post Road Montrose (Montrose VA Hospital) is 1.9 miles or 4 minutes.

Welcher Ave/Lower South Street, Peekskill to 90 Dana Road, Valhalla (Westchester Department of Emergency Services) is 17 miles or 23 minutes.

Why call the county Haz-Mat when Montrose VA Haz-Mat is that close?

Let's define a "haz-mat team", too. Does the VA have a full team or just elements of one? Can they do all the things required of a haz-mat team or would they need support? 2 in, 2 out, decon, etc.

Could the VA have been a first response element while the county team responded?

Honestly I don't know the answers here, but something definitely has to be done for the best interest of our customers better known as the people bieng effected.

Just a few facts to throw out, all of the firefighters at the VAFD just went through their Annual NYS Haz Mat Tech Refresher the last week of April, and if called today I believe the host agency would have had 4 maybe even a fifth crew member responding on dispatch in HM-3. Not really my place to speak any further, but if you had to ask me "waste of valuable resources"!!! Just last year each Department in Bat#10 had a chance to show their resources, and we did just that and I figured people would start using their heads and call the needed resources available now that they say it first hand. I guess I was wrong, shame on you Incident Commanders!!

FDVA OPERATES WITH THE FOLLOWING:

ENGINE 225- READY TO GO, AND EQUIPPED WITH TIC, MULTI GAS METER, PPV FAN AS WELL AS ENGINE COMPANY COMPLIMENT.

MA28- BRUSH VEHICLE ALSO USED AS A RESCUE AND RIT VEHICLE. HAS VARIOUS AMOUNTS OF ROPE AND EXTRICATION EQUIPMENT.

HM-3- SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, HAS AN ABUNDANT SUPPLY OF HAZ MAT/DECON EQUIPMENT AND A DECENT LIBRARY ON BOARD TO IMMEDIATELY BEGIN TO RESEARCH WHILE ENROUTE OR ON SCENE.

MARINE 21- RESCUE BOAT ONLY, BUT WILL BE STAFFED WITH 2 WHO ARE CAPABLE OF PROVIDING IMMEDIATE PATIENT CARE, RESCUE AND SUPPORT. VAFD DOESN'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CREW TO ASSEMBLE EITHER, WERE HERE!!

FDVA OFFERS THE FOLLOWING:

ALL INTERIOR

ALL NYS HAZ MAT TECH'S

ALL NYS EMT'S

ALL NYS CONFINED SPACE TECH'S

ALL NYS FAST QUALIFIED

ALL WITH EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE IN FIRE/RESCUE/EMS

OH AND ONE MORE, WE ARE HERE 24/7 365 DAYS A YEAR!!!

We in Croton use the Montrose Va alot, they are in our Battalion and are a valuable resource. We train with them often as well.

They are avaiable for mutual aid use not just for Hazmat but other things as well,(Ex) Engine, Miniattack,Boat etc. Im not sure if everyone knows that in the county, that the VA is available for mutual aid but if the IC does know this than it is ignorance for one not to utilize thier resources. I believe they have all the equipment neccesary and training to accomplish what the county Hazmat team does if not correct me im wrong.

Regardless they are a great group of gentlemen who are professional and who are highly trained and willing to lend a hand to its nieghbors and also throughout the county and state.

Responses to:

SEPTEMBER 11TH ATTACKS

UPSTATE ICE STORMS

PORT JERVIS FLOODING

BLACK OUT RESPONSE TO NYC- PROVIDED M/A EMS

WEST POINT- ANNUALLY FOR HAZ MAT/DECON STANDBY FOR GRADUATION AND FOOTBALL GAMES

UPSTATE BRUSH FIRE- JUST LAST YEAR

HAZ MAT INCIDENT'S TO: CROTON, BUCHANAN, MONTROSE, OSSINING AND SOMERS.

FIRE RESPONSES TO: CROTON. BUCHANAN

JUST TO NAME A FEW for the VAFD.

Other resources in the Bat 10 area:

Montrose FD- Water Rescue Team, small wheel based engine, Well equipped Rescue.

Buchanan FD- Cascade, small wheel based engine

CCVAC- rehab vehicle, 4X4 ambulance

Verplanck FD- TL46, articulating platform

Continental Village- brush unit

Edited by FDVA356

Let's define a "haz-mat team", too. Does the VA have a full team or just elements of one? Can they do all the things required of a haz-mat team or would they need support? 2 in, 2 out, decon, etc. Could the VA have been a first response element while the county team responded?

Chris the same question could (and should) be asked of any and all departmetns that claim to have a team (a group, a capability, etc.). We should define a hazmat team and what a minimum response should be.

For example what does YFD send as a minimum on a hazmat response?

the book that Rockland produces mentioned by Rob is a great idea, however the information has to come from the department to the county, some Chiefs do, some Chiefs don't, just like anything else. FDVA356 Continental Village is not in my battalion and you seem to have left out some resources from your own home dept. As for the call today I have no comment!

Sorry Bat 10, just expanded the Batallion a little..lol

CROTON FD: FAST, well equipped Rescue, several TIC's available, engine with foam, engine with extrication equipment,engine with you name it (E119), Marine 12-fire/rescue boat, and 3300 gallon Tanker with 2 ponds and three dumps (one from each side rear, and 1-12" from the rear of the apparatus).

CROTON EMS: MCI trailer to handle 50+ patients, Masimo Carbon Monoxide pulse oximeter on each rig (great for firefighter rehab, and CO incidents)

That's better birthday boy

Let's define a "haz-mat team", too. Does the VA have a full team or just elements of one? Can they do all the things required of a haz-mat team or would they need support? 2 in, 2 out, decon, etc.

Could the VA have been a first response element while the county team responded?

The thought is not to have them respond as a sole resource, however; an immediate response along with the County HAZMAT team would obviously enhance the response greatly.

Edited by VAEMC

Responses to:

SEPTEMBER 11TH ATTACKS

UPSTATE ICE STORMS

PORT JERVIS FLOODING

BLACK OUT RESPONSE TO NYC- PROVIDED M/A EMS

WEST POINT- ANNUALLY FOR HAZ MAT/DECON STANDBY FOR GRADUATION AND FOOTBALL GAMES

UPSTATE BRUSH FIRE- JUST LAST YEAR

HAZ MAT INCIDENT'S TO: CROTON, BUCHANAN, MONTROSE, OSSINING AND SOMERS.

FIRE RESPONSES TO: CROTON. BUCHANAN

JUST TO NAME A FEW for the VAFD.

Other resources in the Bat 10 area:

Montrose FD- Water Rescue Team, small wheel based engine, Well equipped Rescue.

Buchanan FD- Cascade, small wheel based engine

CCVAC- rehab vehicle, 4X4 ambulance

Verplanck FD- TL46, articulating platform

Continental Village- brush unit

The FDVA is also on a National Response Team for major disasters throughout the US.

Sadly there are several Chiefs and Officers all over the County that have no idea what resources are out there. That "Red Book" from Rockland County is an excellent resource and we should try to create something like that for us on the east side of the Hudson. Chiefs come and go, sometimes an outgoing Chief never relays the knowledge and information they have to their successors for whatever reasons they come up with. Perhaps we could get some of the better Chiefs and Ex-Chiefs to get together and create a "You're A Chief, Now What" course. It could review the pertinent laws and regulations we have to meet, the resources that are out there and even review some basic strategies so we can stop this countywide plague of ignorance that is killing us as a whole. A Chief of ABC FD might not know that his neighbors at DEF FD has a qualified FAST, or how many Engines they have.

Last year in the Good Ol' 10th Battalion we started doing a "Getting to Know You" series of training. Each Department was asked to come up with an evening to open their doors and show off their rigs and equipment. If I remember correctly 3 out of the 6 Departments actually did it - where were the other 3? We're all busy and have schedules fuller then a fat kid leaving a buffet, but it's one evening for 1-3 hours tops!

As far as the VAFD Haz-Mat response, our Department's SOG is to respond to a Hazmat call, identify what is going on, if it is beyond our scope of training (First Responders) we call the VAFD for HM3. If they decide they need additional support, that's their call. We had two incidents in the last couple of years that we called both teams and the wait for County Haz-Mat was unacceptable, to say the least. If I am not mistaken the two requests made took close to or in excess of one hour for the Haz-Mat team to arrive. Luckily one incident was very minor and could have been handled with our own FD, but the other one, a chlorine leak with a large cloud hovering over several blocks, we established a perimeter, evacuated as needed and started mitigation of traffic all before they showed up. To be blunt, it's a joke.

The county has an abundance of equipment and resources thanks to the strong work of DES, however as an Incident Commander I am not going to wait. I will gladly "pull the trigger" and call everyone and let the first to come tell me what else is needed and what isn't needed. I don't have a pride issue and I have taken an oath to do the best I can to protect my public and my members - even if that means calling someone and not someone else and hurting peoples' feelings. It is well past time for us as county Chiefs and volunteer departments to get over ourselves, stop living in our bubbles and get out there and learn as much as we possibly can and work together to better serve everyone.

Getting back to "What's in our backyards," the Croton FD has the following available for Mutual Aid anytime. A minimum response of no less then 4 Interior personnel for all Engine and Truck requests, however it is rare to get less then six regardless of the time of day.

E118 - 1000 gallons of water and 100 gallons of "all around the pump" AFFF foam. It also has a TIC, Multi-Gas meter and 1300 feet of 5".

E119 - 750 gallons of water, 10KW generator, 4000 watts of floodlights, 1450 feet of 5", 1400 feet of 1 3/4", 1200 ft. of 2 1/2", TIC, Multi-gas, AED, FAST.

E120 - 1000 gallons of water, TIC, Mutli-gas meter, 1300 ft. of 5", 1200 ft. of 1 3/4", 800' of 2 1/2", Jaws.

TL44 - 100' RM Tower / Quint with 300 gallon tank, 2000 gpm pump, 800' of 5". Coming soon a TIC and Multi-Gas meter.

T10 - 3300 gallon tanker/pumper with 650' of 1 3/4", 400' of 2 1/2", 300' of 5", two portable ponds.

R18 - 30KW generator, light tower, 2 spreaders, 1 cutter, 2 rams, 4 HP airbags, Rope rescue, cold water rescue, 2 Multi-gas meters.

M12 - 25' Boston Whaler with 250 gpm pump, deck gun, EMS equipment available April - October.

M32 - 16' Starcraft aluminum rescue boat primarily for non-Hudson River water incidents. On a trailer available year-round.

Zodiac - 12' soft bottom inflatable boat.

At the end of this month we will have 20-24 Water Rescue Technicians with plans to expand our services.

A FAST made up of guys with a minimum of FF I or equivalent, Survival, FAST, Truck Ops, CPR/AED and an average of almost 10 years service. A minimum response is six FAST members, if it can not be filled we will respond with four with a request to the IC for additional FAST.

In development is a re-organization of our Rope Rescue Team. Details to follow.

Every apparatus has at least 6 UHF portable radios that can operate on county firegrounds and lots more.

For more info or if you have any questions, contact me any time at jmm221@crotonfd.org.

“Getting to know you” series is a great idea to know what each department has on their apparatus. I believe that you need to know not only Apparatus and Special technical teams that available but what type of training that you’re neighboring department.