x635

Firefighters Do More Than Save Us From Fires

7 posts in this topic

A very nice editorial:

Firefighters do More Than Save us From Fires

By Jolanda Jones Published 05/18/2009 Education Rating: Unrated

Jolanda Jones

One 24-hour shift changes mindset

The recent loss of two Houston Firefighters, Capt. James Harlow, 50, and Damien Hobbs, 29, reminded us all of just how dangerous the occupation can be. God Bless Fire Fighters! I say that because I have a new-found respect for them after doing a stint at Fire Station 25 (“25’s”). Initially, all I thought they did was rescue us from fires. I don’t say that lightly because they do save our lives during fires; they rush into the heat when we’re trying to rush out. Boy was I wrong! It’s just that after I accompanied the 525 ambulance on its 24 hour B Shift, I realized that it’s much more than I envisioned. It’s a grueling job. And most importantly, it’s a job that we’d better hope they’re always around for.

FULL EDITORIAL: http://www.aframnews.com/html/interspire/a...ires/Page1.html

Those firemans do it all, especially when they come with them wreckin stix-Jolanda

Sounds like a lot of EMS to me...but nice to see some in the media have the wherewithal to come out and see what some of this stuff is like.

Edited by Goose

Sounds like a lot of EMS to me...but nice to see some in the media have the wherewithal to come out and see what some of this stuff is like.

Houston,TX FD provides intergrated EMS, including ALS ambulances, engine, and truck companies. They see a lot of fire duty, but also handle a large EMS call volume as well.

That editorial is a must read! Especially when everyone is looking to cut emergency services because of the economy...

This is one of the most accurate editorials about the fire service from an outsider I've seen. It was concise, to the point, and provided a very understandable account of what life can be like in the fire service. For all the negative press public safety seems to attract from some reporters, it is pretty refreshing to see something positively written.