Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DR104

D-DAY 65 YEAR AGO TODAY JUNE 6 1944

9 posts in this topic

The Normandy Landings were the first operations of the Allied invasion of Normandy, also known as Operation Neptune and Operation Overlord, during World War II. The landings commenced on June 6, 1944 (D-Day), beginning at 6:30 British Double Summer Time (H-Hour). In planning, D-Day was the term used for the day of actual landing, which was dependent on final approval. The assault was conducted in two phases: an air assault landing of American, British and Canadian airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armoured divisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30. The invasion required the transport of soldiers and materiel from the United Kingdom by troop carrying aircraft and ships, the assault landings, air support, naval interdiction of the English Channel and naval fire-support. There were also subsidiary 'attacks' mounted under the codenames Operation Glimmer and Operation Taxable to distract the Kriegsmarine and the German army from the real landing areas.[3] The operation was the largest single-day amphibious invasion of all time, with 160,000[4] troops landing on June 6, 1944. 195,700[5] Allied naval and merchant navy personnel in over 5,000[4] ships were involved. The landings took place along a 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. The Allies had previously invaded mainland Europe September 3, 1943 with the landings in Italy.

http://www.army.mil/d-day/

Edited by DR104

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George Smith Patton, Jr.

My dad was in the first wave on d-day i still remember the stories he told, as I have grown older and wiser I now look back and think of the storied he didnt tell--the deaths he must have seen, the liberation of the concentration camps. They were truly named the Greatest Generation.

I look and read every day in the obits when I see a American flag by a name, we are loseing our veterns every day, we should be proud of what they have done for us, and what they are doing fo us each and every day now around the world.

For thoses of you that have served thank you--thank you for making this a betrter world to live in.

My dad was in the first wave on d-day i still remember the stories he told, as I have grown older and wiser I now look back and think of the storied he didnt tell--the deaths he must have seen, the liberation of the concentration camps. They were truly named the Greatest Generation.

I look and read every day in the obits when I see a American flag by a name, we are loseing our veterns every day, we should be proud of what they have done for us, and what they are doing fo us each and every day now around the world.

For thoses of you that have served thank you--thank you for making this a betrter world to live in.

Couldn't of said it better. God bless our troops.

nicely stated

Thanks for the link DR104, my dad too landed on D-Day, great site lots of info.

God Bless your father and the men he served with, truly the greatest generation, and may God continue to bless America and those Brave men & women who protect us & our way of life.

Well said, I too would like to add my thanks.

Thank you to all!